How the emission spectra can be affected by E/M field?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential use of a magnetic or electric field in improving the characterization of minerals through absorption spectra analysis. The Zeeman and Stark effects are mentioned as possible ways in which the fields could affect the absorption spectrum. However, it is pointed out that applying such fields to electron spectroscopy experiments, such as XPS, would be disastrous as it would disrupt the information carried by the emitted electrons.
ORF
Hello

A friend of mine asked me if he could improve the (amateur) characterization of minerals by studying the absorption spectra during the application of a magnetic field.

I thought that maybe the electron cyclotron resonance could work, but then I noticed that very low temperatures are needed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_cyclotron_resonance#In_condensed_matter_physics

So, my question is: a static/variable electric/magnetic field could affect the emission/absorption spectra?

Thank you for your time.

Greetings

Physics news on Phys.org
When a static magnetic field is applied to a medium, the molecules and atoms inside it are going to experience Zeeman effect where the splitting occurs between states of different magnetic quantum number but in the same angular momentum. The splitting is proportional to the applied magnetic field strength. So, yes there will be modification in the absorption spectrum.
The same thing also happens when static electric field is applied for which the effect is known as Stark effect. The rearrangement of states in Stark effect is somehow more complicated than that in Zeeman effect.

Likes ORF
ORF said:
Hello

A friend of mine asked me if he could improve the (amateur) characterization of minerals by studying the absorption spectra during the application of a magnetic field.

Did he explain the impetus for asking that? I mean, it can't just come to him in a dream.

Other than breaking degeneracy, I don't know how the application of such fields would "improve the characterization of minerals". If it is simply a matter of identifying elements in the minerals, then how would the application of such fields do this? We already have quite a number of sensitive techniques to identify elemental composition and the relative amount. What else would he need that will require such improvements? Besides, what particular technique was he using that he'd like to apply the fields to? Applying such fields to any electron spectroscopy experiments (such as XPS) will be disastrous.

Zz.

Hello

@blue_leaf77: thank you, I didn't remember the Stark effect.

@ZapperZ : I think he wants to "improve" the results of his amateur spectrometer... I don't know if this could help, so I asked. Why applying such fields to any electron spectroscopy experiments (such as XPS) will be disastrous?

Thank you for your time :)

Greetings.

ORF said:
Hello

@blue_leaf77: thank you, I didn't remember the Stark effect.

@ZapperZ : I think he wants to "improve" the results of his amateur spectrometer... I don't know if this could help, so I asked. Why applying such fields to any electron spectroscopy experiments (such as XPS) will be disastrous?

When one performs any electron spectroscopy, one wants to do it in a magnetic/electric field-free environment, because one wants to preserve the energy and momentum of the outgoing electrons before it enters the electron analyzer. In fact, most vacuum vessels where such experiments are performed are often lined with mu-metal to shield the contents from external fields.

Thus, introducing any external field will simply destroy the information that was carried by the emitted electrons, which defeats the whole purpose of doing electron spectroscopy.

Zz.

1. What is an emission spectrum?

An emission spectrum is a unique pattern of colored lines or bands that are produced when an atom or molecule emits light after being excited by an external energy source.

2. How does an E/M field affect emission spectra?

An E/M field, which refers to an electric and magnetic field, can affect the emission spectrum of an atom or molecule by altering the energy levels of the electrons within it. This can change the wavelengths of light that are emitted, resulting in a different emission spectrum.

3. Can an E/M field completely alter an emission spectrum?

Yes, an E/M field can completely alter an emission spectrum by changing the energies of the electrons in an atom or molecule. This can result in a different pattern or intensity of emission lines or bands.

4. How do different types of E/M fields affect emission spectra?

Different types of E/M fields, such as static, alternating, or magnetic fields, can affect emission spectra in different ways. For example, a magnetic field can cause a splitting of the emission lines, while an alternating field can result in a broadening of the lines.

5. Can the strength of an E/M field affect emission spectra?

Yes, the strength of an E/M field can affect emission spectra. A stronger field can cause a greater shift in the energy levels of the electrons, resulting in a more significant change in the emitted light and the overall emission spectrum.