1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How they found the left nullspace in each of these examples

1. Jan 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Part b)

http://www.math.utah.edu/~zwick/Classes/Fall2012_2270/Lectures/Lecture19_with_Examples.pdf
    upload_2015-1-22_11-56-16.png

For B
    upload_2015-1-22_11-57-0.png

Left nullspace is solution to A ^ T times Y =0
    So we have a free variable for the third row so don't we have infinitely many solutions as x3 could be anything?
    upload_2015-1-22_11-51-3.png

In this problem's part b) I don't think that they took the transpose of the matrix A.

http://staff.imsa.edu/~fogel/LinAlg/PDF/29 Fundamental Subspaces.pdf
    Go the bottom of page 1 under 4) and you'll see "
    Perform Gaussian (or better, Gauss-Jordan) elimination on [A | I] to produce [U | B] (or
    [R | C]). Claim: the last m – r rows of B (which equal those of C because once we get zeroes
    there’s no more work to do in those rows) form ...."

So why isn't the last three rows of 0's in A just the left nullspace?

I am trying to figure out why

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2015 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

B is a 2x3 matrix, so it maps vectors from ##\mathbb{R}^3## to ##\mathbb{R}^2##. In which of these two vector spaces does the left nullspace reside?

You start with the (untransposed) A and form the augmented matrix [A | I] and perform row operations to produce [U | B]. The basis vectors are the last m-r rows of B. So why are you thinking the rows of A have anything to do with the basis of the left nullspace? It should be clear the last three rows of A can't form basis because they're all 0s.

4. Jan 28, 2015 #3
    I don't think so.

But then what does this mean?
    https://api.viglink.com/api/click?f...fogel/LinAlg/PDF/29 Fundamental Subspaces.pdf
    Perform Gaussian (or better, Gauss-Jordan) elimination on [A | I] to produce [U | B] (or
    [R | C]). Claim: the last m – r rows of B (which equal those of C because once we get zeroes
    there’s no more work to do in those rows) form ...."

5. Jan 30, 2015 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Sorry for the late reply. I've been kinda busy this week.

I simply paraphrased the passage you quoted from the PDF, so I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with. As a result of the row operations, matrix A turns into U, and the identity matrix turns into B. The passage says the last rows of B then form a basis for the left nullspace.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted