1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How To Approach Units and Problem Solving Questions?

1. Aug 9, 2013 #1
    Hey everyone,

I'm starting to learn physics on my own and I'm doing the chapter review questions at the end of the chapter. Right now, I'm on units and problem solving. My question to you guys is should I be concerned about actually knowing the exact measurement to solve the problems, or is it okay for me to Google the measurements and then solve them?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2013 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

What measurements exactly are you talking about? I am bit confused as to exactly what you are asking for. If you are talking about constants such as the speed of light in a vacuum, then usually the question will tell you what to you use for that value.

4. Aug 9, 2013 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you rephrase the question?

Are you asking if you need to memorise the units for some physical quantities? If that is the question then the answer is yes.

If you are asking do you need to know the value of constants then probably not. Usually the question will give you that value of constants you need or you can look them up.

5. Aug 9, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You certainly need to know what the "physical quantity" means and I don't see how you can do that without knowing its units.

6. Aug 9, 2013 #5

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Some units and constants are worth remembering some are not. It is hard to generalize. Certainly you should know things like 1 km= 1000m and 32°F=0°C. I don't know what books some of you are reading. You mean in such books they say things like "you might need to use pi in this question use the value 3.14" I do not think that is usual.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted