How to build a 15 story hotel in six days?

• Thread starter waht
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Build
In summary, building a 15 story hotel in six days requires careful planning, efficient construction methods, and a skilled team of workers. The process involves using pre-fabricated modules, minimizing on-site construction, and utilizing advanced technologies. The project also requires close coordination between architects, engineers, and contractors to ensure smooth execution. With proper planning and execution, it is possible to complete a 15 story hotel in just six days.
waht
Hire Chinese contractors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps0DSihggio&feature=player_embedded#!

Physics news on Phys.org
Assemble, not build, but it did go up REAL fast.

But how structurally sound is it?

dlgoff said:
But how structurally sound is it?
We won't know until it is stressed.

I'm sure it is structurally sound...air conditioned and powered? Maybe not...

russ_watters said:
I'm sure it is structurally sound...air conditioned and powered? Maybe not...
It may or may not be structurally sound. It is a given that the building will need to be fitted with water, electricity communications, etc, and that takes a LOT more time than erection and sheathing.

In the video the workers were putting up drywall. It's possible the first few levels are were wired up and piped while another team is putting up i-beams for a new floor.

Waht,

This is pretty impressive too, http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_fast_were_ships_built_in_America_during_World_War_2" ,
Liberty ships were merchant ships produced during WW II. On average 3 of these finished production each day The average time to build them was 42 days nationally, and 2 weeks at Kaiser shipyards. The fastest Liberty ship build was the Robert E. Peary in 4 days, 15 hours, and 29 minutes as a publicity stunt. This was built at Kaiser's Richmond shipyard.

I know they didn't have the technology present today, I think they made up for with willpower, teamwork, and very smart savvy engineers.

Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator:
rhody said:
Waht,

This is pretty impressive too, http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_fast_were_ships_built_in_America_during_World_War_2" ,

I know they didn't have the technology present today, I think they made up for with willpower, teamwork, and very smart savvy engineers.

Rhody...

I've heard that a significant number of workers who built the Liberty Ships were women - Rosie the Riveters.

lisab said:
I've heard that a significant number of workers who built the Liberty Ships were women - Rosie the Riveters.
Yep. My wife's aunt was one. She died a pretty uncomfortable death due to the asbestos exposure. Nice lady, who would cheat at card games with her sister "just because".

rhody said:

Rhody...

Yes, indeed. I saw that on the History channel. It's equally as impressive in planning, and organizing.

lisab said:

During the war when men were out in the battlefield, many women filled their work place at home. It was the beginning of a major feminism movement.

turbo-1 said:
Yep. My wife's aunt was one. She died a pretty uncomfortable death due to the asbestos exposure. Nice lady, who would cheat at card games with her sister "just because".

I suppose back in the day the safety standards were far below what they're now; lead paint, no hard-hats, working more hours etc.

in the 1400s(?) the Venice Arsenal mass-produced warships & could build one in a day using standardized parts & a production line system. I think I remember also reading that in the 1930s or something Soviet factories started producing things long before the actual building was completed.

Well of course they do! Seven cranes (vs our one or two), working 24/7 (vs our 8/5), they're probably using 3 to 5 times as many workers, and the interior work was undoubtedly begun the moment the second floor was poured. Here in the US, interior work for smaller buildings is usually done by a different contractor, and isn't begun until the rest of the building is completed.

The collapse of a bridge in China has put the spotlight on the nation's many construction projects.

Experts paint a damning picture of the safety standards on such projects, particularly those in remote areas.

They are sometimes rushed - often leading to design or building flaws - in order to finish work on time, or even before expected completion dates.

A lack of properly trained workers also means plans are not always carried out to designers' wishes, experts say.

Tao Hongyi, China director for the bridge builder Dorman Long Technology, says standards vary across the country.

"Big projects in major cities are usually built to a high standard, but lesser projects in remote areas often slip under the radar," says Mr Tao, whose UK-based firm has built eight major bridges in China.

Part of the problem, he says, is China's desire to build infrastructure projects quickly, often to maintain economic growth...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6945972.stm

I cannot help but expect the worst from the Three Gorges Dam. If it does ever fail, it will be catastrophic beyond belief.

Just as with enviromental concerns and worker safety, for now China enjoys a state of contruction limbo - a protected existence - in which they are not fully accountable for their actions. As the disasters mount, just as we were, China will be forced to change her ways.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
[I cannot help but expect the worst from the Three Gorges Dam. If it does ever fail, it will be catastrophic beyond belief.

Similar concerns were expressed about the Hoover Dam (then Boulder Dam) flooding the burgeoning Las Vegas area with waters from Lake Meade. Fortunately, that hasn't happened, but it turns out the Hoover Dam was both http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/be/Hoover-summary-map.jpg" and very well constructed.

That's not saying, however, that China's Three Gorges Dam has enjoyed the same level of quality.

Just as with enviromental concerns and worker safety, for now China enjoys a state of contruction limbo - a protected existence - in which they are not fully accountable for their actions. As the disasters mount, just as we were, China will be forced to change her ways.

112 people died during the construction of the Hoover Dam. China is no more apt to accept external safety inspectors than we are. Meanwhile, the Hoover Dam was completed in 1936, while the Gateway Arch in St. Louis was completed in 1965. One of the principle construction goals was to eliminate all construction deaths. From what I recall from my visit, they succeeded, although there were either one or two deaths by natural causes during its construction.

If China refuses external inspectors, we'll know in the first few years after their dam is filled whether or not their construction was sound.

1. How is it possible to build a 15 story hotel in just six days?

Building a 15 story hotel in six days is possible through the use of prefabrication and modular construction techniques. This means that many of the components of the hotel, such as walls, floors, and rooms, are built off-site and then transported to the construction site for assembly. This greatly speeds up the construction process and allows for a shorter overall timeline.

2. What materials are used in building a 15 story hotel in six days?

The materials used in building a 15 story hotel in six days will depend on the specific construction techniques and design of the hotel. However, commonly used materials include steel, concrete, and precast concrete panels. These materials are strong, durable, and can be quickly assembled on-site.

3. How do you ensure the quality of a 15 story hotel built in such a short amount of time?

Quality control is a crucial aspect of building a 15 story hotel in six days. This is achieved through careful planning, use of high-quality materials, and strict adherence to construction standards and codes. Additionally, frequent inspections and testing are conducted throughout the construction process to ensure that the hotel meets all safety and quality requirements.

4. What are the potential challenges of building a 15 story hotel in six days?

Building a 15 story hotel in six days can present several challenges, such as inclement weather, site conditions, and coordination with various contractors and suppliers. It also requires a highly skilled and efficient construction team, as any delays or mistakes can significantly impact the timeline.

5. Is it cost-effective to build a 15 story hotel in six days?

In some cases, building a 15 story hotel in six days can be more cost-effective than traditional construction methods. This is because the shorter timeline reduces labor and financing costs. However, the overall cost will depend on various factors, such as the location, design, and materials used. It is important to carefully consider all costs and benefits before deciding on this construction approach.