How to calculate compression of a spring

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of centrifugal force and its application to a spring while it is spinning. The conversation also explored how to calculate the compression of the spring, considering factors such as the weight and radius. It was suggested that if the change in radius is small, the spring can be modeled as having a small mass attached to the end and using Hooke's law to find the compression. Alternatively, if the mass of the spring is uniformly distributed, the moment of inertia and angular momentum can be used to calculate the extension. There was also a discussion about the inertia moment of a long uniform rod, and how it is affected if the rod is hollow."
Gazi
centrifugal force apply force to spring while it spinning, how to calculate it's compression. there is no any attached mass on spring. just centrifugal force depends on RPM. weight of spring is important, centrifugal force is changing by radius, so it's not uniform.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the change in radius is small compared to the overall radius, then I'd assume a constant r and model the spring as having a small mass attached to the end of it. Then you can find the force on that mass and use hooke's law to find how far the spring is compressed.

Alternatively, if you considered the mass of the spring was uniformly distributed from the origin to the radius, then you could use the moment of inertia of a rod about its end i.e ##I=\frac{1}{3}mr^2## with associated angular momentum ##L=I\omega##. In doing this you're basically attaching all the mass contributing to angular momentum to a point along the spring which is ##1/\sqrt{3}=0.577## along the spring, i.e. between a half and 2/3 of ##r##. There is then an associated centripetal force from which you can get the extension as Drakkith suggested.

inertia moment of long uniform rod through end is I=1/3ML² what if rod has hollow. what is inertia moment?

1. How do you calculate the compression of a spring?

To calculate the compression of a spring, you will need to use the following formula:

Compression = (F * L) / k

where F is the applied force, L is the length of the spring, and k is the spring constant. Make sure to use consistent units for accurate results.

2. What is the spring constant and how is it determined?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It represents the amount of force required to compress or stretch the spring by a certain distance. It is determined by dividing the applied force by the change in length of the spring.

3. Can you calculate the compression of a spring without knowing the applied force?

No, the applied force is a crucial component in calculating the compression of a spring. Without knowing the applied force, it is not possible to determine the amount of compression accurately.

4. How does the material of the spring affect its compression?

The material of the spring can affect its compression by altering its stiffness or spring constant. A stiffer material will result in a higher spring constant, meaning it will take more force to compress the spring by a certain distance. On the other hand, a less stiff material will have a lower spring constant and will require less force to achieve the same amount of compression.

5. Is there a limit to the amount of compression a spring can undergo?

Yes, all springs have a maximum amount of compression they can undergo before reaching their elastic limit. Once this limit is reached, the spring will no longer return to its original shape when the force is removed, and permanent deformation may occur. It is important to stay within the recommended compression range to avoid damaging the spring.