How to calculate efficiency of Newton's Method

In summary, the conversation discusses Newton's Method and how to calculate its efficiency for a given function. The method involves using a series of guesses to find the value of x that makes f(x) equal to 0, and the efficiency is related to the rate at which f(x) and f"(x) change. It is possible to have quadratic convergence under certain conditions, meaning that the error in subsequent iterations is proportional to the square of the error in the current iteration.
David Carroll
Greetings. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to calculate the efficiency of Newton's Method for a given function:

I have an equation f(x) and I'm trying to find a value of x = x0 such that f(x0) = 0.

So I start with a guess x0 and then use that to find a second (usually closer) guess of x1 by using the following:

x1 = x0 - f(x0)/f'(x0)

and then a third guess

x2 = x1 - f(x1)/f'(x1)

...and so on until xn = xn-1 +- e, where "e" is some previously defined allowable error.

In order to find an "efficiency value" of the above method, I'm thinking this has to do with the rate at which f(x) changes versus the rate at which f"(x) changes. So would I take the derivative of f(x) and divide it by the derivative of f'(x)? = f'(x)/f''(x)

...or would I take the derivative of the entire construct? = [f(x)/f'(x)]'

Or are none of these correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry. You can barely see the ' or the '' on those above derivatives, but they are there.

David Carroll said:
Greetings. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to calculate the efficiency of Newton's Method for a given function:

I have an equation f(x) and I'm trying to find a value of x = x0 such that f(x0) = 0.

So I start with a guess x0 and then use that to find a second (usually closer) guess of x1 by using the following:

x1 = x0 - f(x0)/f'(x0)

and then a third guess

x2 = x1 - f(x1)/f'(x1)

...and so on until xn = xn-1 +- e, where "e" is some previously defined allowable error.

In order to find an "efficiency value" of the above method, I'm thinking this has to do with the rate at which f(x) changes versus the rate at which f"(x) changes. So would I take the derivative of f(x) and divide it by the derivative of f'(x)? = f'(x)/f''(x)

...or would I take the derivative of the entire construct? = [f(x)/f'(x)]'

Or are none of these correct?

It's not clear what you mean by the 'efficiency' of Newton's method.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_method

In the article above, it can be shown that under certain conditions, NM has what is called 'quadratic convergence', which means that if NM has settled onto a solution, the error in a subsequent iteration is proportional to the square of the error in the current iteration.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

What is Newton's Method?

Newton's Method is an algorithm used to find the roots of a function. It is commonly used in numerical analysis and optimization problems.

How does Newton's Method work?

Newton's Method works by using an initial guess for the root of a function and then iteratively refining that guess until a desired level of accuracy is reached. It involves taking the derivative of the function and using it to improve the guess for the root.

What is the efficiency of Newton's Method?

The efficiency of Newton's Method is dependent on the function being evaluated and the initial guess used. In general, it is considered to be a highly efficient method for finding roots of functions.

How do I calculate the efficiency of Newton's Method?

The efficiency of Newton's Method can be calculated by measuring the number of iterations required for the algorithm to reach a desired level of accuracy. The fewer iterations needed, the more efficient the method.

What are some limitations of Newton's Method?

Newton's Method may fail for certain functions or initial guesses, resulting in incorrect roots. It also requires the function to be differentiable, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it may not converge to a root if the initial guess is too far from the actual root.