How to Calculate Electric Field of Half Spherical Shell with Gauss Law?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
asi123
Messages
254
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Hey guys.
I got this question:
"Calculate the electric field of half a spherical shell with radius R and uniform surface charge density [tex]\sigma[/tex] along its axis of symmetry above the shell."
I guess I shell use Gauss law, the thing is that the Gauss surface will not be closed above the half spherical shell so I though about calculating the electric field for a full spherical shell and then divide it by 2 to get the electric field above the upper half spherical shell.
What do you say? is that the way to go?

Thanks in advance.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you're talking about losing the half away from the side that is charged, I'd think not.

From the statement I take it that the points along the axis make the charges look like concentric rings spaced at a distance according to their spherical geometry away from whatever point you are at. Like looking down at a salad bowl turned face down?
 
LowlyPion said:
If you're talking about losing the half away from the side that is charged, I'd think not.

From the statement I take it that the points along the axis make the charges look like concentric rings spaced at a distance according to their spherical geometry away from whatever point you are at. Like looking down at a salad bowl turned face down?

Yeah, it's like a salad bowl turned face down :smile:
I need to find a closed Gauss surface that will contain this "bowl" and I can't think of one.

I'm sorry, I didn't understand what you mean by "If you're talking about losing the half away from the side that is charged, I'd think not.".

Thanks a lot.
 
I didn't understand what you mean by ...
I was simply referring to your notion that you would take the integral of a whole sphere and then take away the mirror of the salad bowl.