How to Calculate Error in Slope and Intercept for Least Squares Fit?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Ramapaa
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Error Fitting Square
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Ramapaa
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I have some data to calculate the photoelectric effect, and with my measurements I have made a graph using the least square fitting for voltage vs. frequencies. If I have an error of x for all voltages (V) and y for all frequencies f.
How do I calculate the error of the values m and a if my fitting is Vo= m f + a?

If needed here I post the data I have
The slope m is h/e = 4.59*10^(-15)V/Hz
and the constant a is the working function in electronvolts W/e=2.11eV
And the errors
for voltages are x= 0.05V
for frequencies y= 2*10^11
and I am using 5 data pairs.
 
Physics news on Phys.org