1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate forces in a looping

1. Apr 3, 2006 #1
    needless to say I'm a physics-challenged person but as a designer, I'm finally confronted with the science part of life :smile:

I want to have an estimate-calculation on the forces that will act on a looping if I have an object of x kilograms moving at y speed hits a looping with z diameter.
    I haven't got a clue where to start and trial/error testing is too expensive.

What I want to know is what formula's I can use in order to retreive the following info:
    - minimum speed for object (object weight could vary) to complete the looping (different diameters)
    - maximum diameter of looping for weight/speed combination
    - forces that act on the looping's construction (in order to build a prototype)

think of it like an RC car doing 'Hotwheels" stunts ...

I appreciate any help with links, formula's, ...
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, what will help you is that the centrifugal acceleration of an object having a velocity v (in meters/second) on a track with radius R (meters) is given by v^2/R

Now, on top of the track, this centrifugal acceleration points upward of course, while the gravitational acceleration g points downward ; so if you want the thing to be sticking to the road, then you better have that v^2/R > g.

g = 9.81 m/s^2
  4. Apr 4, 2006 #3
    thanks Vanesh !

do you know how I could use the centrifugal acceleration to calculate the force on the ramp/looping itself? I want to build a prototype but would like some insight on how tough I need to make the construction.
    Also, I kind of expect that the object will not have a smooth transition from horizontal movement to the upwards looping, so is there a way to calculate the impact it will have if it 'hits' the looping-curve?

again, thanks for the input you already gave. I forgot how interesting this physics/math stuff is ... will pick it back up real soon.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?