How to Calculate Gravitational Potential Energy for a Swinging Toy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter stanton
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
stanton
Messages
74
Reaction score
0
1. Homework Statement

A 40 N toy is placed in a light swing that is attached to ropes 2.0m long. Find the gravitational potential energy associated with the toy relative to its lowest position when (a) the ropes are horizontal (b) the ropes make a 30 degrees angle with the vertical and (c) at the bottom of the circular arc.

2. Homework Equations

PEg = mgy (note: y is distance)
Wg = -mg(yf-yi)=mgyi-mgyf=PEi-PEf
Wg=-deltaPE

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know what to start. Well, as my prop show a similar problem with (b) problem, I tried to draw free body diagram. like vertical = y-axis and horizontal = x axis. So the the rope and y-axis makes a sort of triangle. and the unknown length of the one side of triangle must be length of cord multiplied by cos30. And I cant' go further. Maybe I went down all wrong. Will you help?
If I am asked solve the length between the maximum point reached by toy or something like that, I think I can do it. However, about energy, I am confused.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
At the bottom PE = ...?
a) The rope is horizontal. So the displacement is L ( length of the rope). So PE = ...?
b) The displacement is (L - Lcasθ). So PE =...?