Potential gravitational energy coordinate axis

In summary, potential gravitational energy is relative to the chosen reference point and can be calculated using the equation W = -ΔU. When considering a vertically up y-axis, the potential energy of an object-Earth system will increase as it rises and decrease as it falls, with the ground as the reference point. However, if the positive y-axis is vertically down, the direction of displacement, velocity, and force must also be consistent for the calculation to remain unchanged. Therefore, the potential gravitational energy would still be negative when the object is falling.
Bunny-chan

Homework Statement

I know that potential gravitational energy is relative to the reference point that I decide to choose (like in the picture below).
main-qimg-b4d0d3924d39565c01fbf52b60c61946.webp

But then if, for instance, I set my reference point in the ceiling and my vertically down y-axis to be positive. What would the potential gravitational energy of an object falling from the ceiling and an object moving towards the celing be? This kind of makes me confused. I'd appreciate some insight on this matter.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
In order for us to help you, you need to at least make an attempt to write down the relevant equations and try a solution.

PeterDonis said:
In order for us to help you, you need to at least make an attempt to write down the relevant equations and try a solution.
But I don't know how equations will help me to visualize this? I know that the work done on the mass in an object-Earth system is [itex]W = - \Delta U[/itex], and that in the reference point, the potential energy is 0, since what matters is actually the difference in potential energy.

In a vertically up y-axis, If I throw an object in the air, the gravitational potential energy of the object-Earth system will increase as it rises, and decrease as it falls down, considering the ground as reference, right? And if I consider the reference as a point as a certain height from the ground, and I drop an object from that point, the gravitational potential energy of the system will decrease too.

But now, I don't know if taking the positive y-axis to be vertically down will change the way this works. If I consider the same situations as above, dropping an object from the elevated point would actually mean I'm throwing it up? (Even though it's obvious I'm not, because the displacement it's in the same direction as gravity...).

Bunny-chan said:
set my reference point in the ceiling and my vertically down y-axis to be positive. What would the potential gravitational energy of an object
You need to be consistent in the assignment of the positive direction, same for displacements, velcities, accelerations and forces.
Since W=∫F.ds, switching the positive direction for F and s leaves W unchanged.

haruspex said:
You need to be consistent in the assignment of the positive direction, same for displacements, velcities, accelerations and forces.
Since W=∫F.ds, switching the positive direction for F and s leaves W unchanged.
So gravitational potential energy would still be negative when the object is falling?

Bunny-chan said:
So gravitational potential energy would still be negative when the object is falling?
The change would still be negative, yes.

haruspex said:
The change would still be negative, yes.
Thank you!

1. What is potential gravitational energy?

Potential gravitational energy is the energy an object has due to its position relative to a gravitational field. This energy is stored and can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, when the object moves.

2. How is potential gravitational energy calculated?

Potential gravitational energy is calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object relative to the reference point.

3. What is the relationship between potential gravitational energy and height?

The relationship between potential gravitational energy and height is directly proportional. This means that as the height of an object increases, its potential gravitational energy also increases.

4. How does potential gravitational energy change with distance?

Potential gravitational energy decreases as the distance between two objects increases. This is because the force of gravity, and therefore the potential energy, is weaker at greater distances.

5. What is the role of the coordinate axis in potential gravitational energy?

The coordinate axis is used to define the reference point for calculating potential gravitational energy. It is usually set at the ground level, with positive values representing heights above the ground and negative values representing depths below the ground.