1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple gravitational potential energy

1. Mar 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 400-N child is in a swing that is attached to a pair of ropes 2.00 m long. Find the gravitational potential energy of the child-Earth system relative to the child’s lowest position when

(b) the ropes make a 30.0° angle with the vertical

2. Relevant equations
    Ug=mgy

3. The attempt at a solution
    b.) Ug = 400N ⋅ 2m(1-cos30)
    Ug = 107J

I understand everything about the problem (and was able to do the other parts of it without issue) except where the 1-cos30 comes from. Even drawing it out I just can't visualize where that is coming from. I originally thought that it would just be 2m(cos30) but the answer key says that is wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2016 #2
    i think the potential energy change is initial state when it was at the lowest point and then it was raised to an angle 30 degree- so the the child was raised to certain height and that height matters for P.E. calculation -i.e. your y... so making some triangle with original position and raised position calculate y -the amount of vertical distance raised to be multiplied to the load raised....

4. Mar 30, 2016 #3

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

How much higher is the 30 degree point than the bottom point?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted