How to Calculate Heat Required to Boil Water?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jle1092
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Boiling Water
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
jle1092
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Water is boiled to add moisture to the air in the winter to help a congested person breathe better. Calculate the heat required to boil away .75 L of water that is initially 60 C.

I'm not sure what equation to use, I was thinking Q=mc(change in temp.)

where Q= heat energy
m= mass
c= specific heat


I know the specific heat of water is 1 cal/gC, but I am not given the mass and don't seem to have enough information to solve this problem. Any help would be appreciated
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You've got the mass of water in terms of volume -- you do know the density of water, right?

The formula you have given is fine for part of the problem (raising the temperature of the water to the boiling point). But you'll need another constant to calculate the heat required to turn the water from liquid to vapor.