How to Calculate Hemolysis Percentage from Absorption at a Given Wavelength?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ChrisVer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Absorbtion
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Science Advisor
Messages
3,372
Reaction score
465
How can someone calculate the hemolysis (%) from the absorption at λ wavelength given some concentration in NaCl?

The formula I saw was really weird:
Absorb(most hypotonic solution) = 100 % hemolysis
I canlt understand that formula though... thanks
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Whoa. This seems a bit lacking in basic information. First off, hemolysis may be a function solely of NaCl concentration, as well, for some types of cells. What you indicate seems to say that the effect of wavelength of light is changed by NaCl concentration. Uhh, where did you get this? As is, I cannot help you. If you can't tell, I'm totally confused.

I would assume that light induced hemolysis is at least in part dictated by the absorption spectrum of the hemoglobins involved, for example.