How can I find the width of the central diffraction maximum.

In summary, the width of the central diffraction maximum can be measured using a ruler or caliper, and it is an important measurement in understanding the diffraction pattern of a single slit. A laser can also be used to measure the width, and it increases as the slit size decreases. Additionally, the width can be affected by the color (wavelength) of the incident light.
MattDutra123
If I am given the width of the slit (b), wavelength of the light (λ), and the distance of the slit from the screen (D), how can I find the width of the central maximum (d)? My book says d/2=Dλ/b, but with no explanation and I don't understand why. Where does this formula come from?
Thank you for your help.

Science news on Phys.org

1. What is the definition of central diffraction maximum?

The central diffraction maximum is the central peak in a diffraction pattern that occurs when a wave passes through a narrow slit or aperture. It is the brightest and most intense point in the pattern.

2. How is the width of the central diffraction maximum measured?

The width of the central diffraction maximum is measured by finding the distance between the first dark fringe on either side of the central maximum. This distance is known as the width at half-maximum (WHM).

3. What factors affect the width of the central diffraction maximum?

The width of the central diffraction maximum is affected by the wavelength of the incident wave, the size of the slit or aperture, and the distance between the slit or aperture and the screen where the diffraction pattern is observed.

4. How can I calculate the width of the central diffraction maximum?

The width of the central diffraction maximum can be calculated using the formula WHM = (λL)/d, where λ is the wavelength of the incident wave, L is the distance between the slit or aperture and the screen, and d is the width of the slit or aperture.

5. Can the width of the central diffraction maximum be adjusted?

Yes, the width of the central diffraction maximum can be adjusted by changing the size of the slit or aperture or by changing the distance between the slit or aperture and the screen. It can also be adjusted by using different wavelengths of light.