How to Calculate Impulse with Mass and Velocity Change?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mikefitz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Impulse
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
mikefitz
Messages
155
Reaction score
0
If I'm given an object with X mass that is moving in one direction at Y velocity, then changes direction and moves at Z velocity, how do I calculate the impulse? Most equations I have are concerned with time intervals; this one is not.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mikefitz said:
If I'm given an object with X mass that is moving in one direction at Y velocity, then changes direction and moves at Z velocity, how do I calculate the impulse? Most equations I have are concerned with time intervals; this one is not.

The impulse equals the change of linear momentum.
 
Impulse
= Change of momentum
= Final momentum - initial momentum
= mv - mu
= m(v-u)
= X (-Z-Y)

Assuming what you are talking about is linear momentum. I would be a lot more complicated and you would have to calculate is as an oblique collision if it were not.
 
say the object moves at 3.6 m/s initially, then gets hit and moves -24.2 m/s in the other direction; m=.41kg

3.6(.41)=1.476
-24.2(.41)=-9.922

=-8.446 <--is this right?
 
No, impulse equals change in momentum, which is final minus initial.
 
It is best you don't try to calculate the values of the momentum separately. Just calculate it using the formula I gave. The result you would get will be the sum of the magnitudes, not what you got.