How does a mass moving up a ramp change its velocity?

In summary: What if you fixed this by kicking it with an additional force ##G(t) = -J \delta(t)## parallel to the ##x## axis?If you kick it with an additional force in the ##x## direction, then the angle of the impulse will be ##90 - \frac {\theta} {2}## from the ground, instead of perpendicular. This will result in a velocity with the same magnitude and directed at the same angle as before.
phantomvommand
Homework Statement
A point mass is moving at speed v, on a horizontal plane, until it reaches an incline. Immediately, its direction changes, but its speed remains at v. How does this happen?
Relevant Equations
Understanding of forces
A point mass is moving at speed v, on a horizontal plane, until it reaches an incline. Immediately after just climbing up the incline, its speed remains at v, but its direction changes. How does this happen?

Q2: Now, I drop a point mass such that it falls vertically downward onto a fixed ramp.
Is only velocity parallel to the slope of the ramp preserved? I think this is because the ramp exerts an impulse on the ball such that the momentum perpendicular to the slope is removed.

Physics news on Phys.org
phantomvommand said:
I think this is because the ramp exerts an impulse on the ball such that the momentum perpendicular to the slope is removed.
I think the concept of impulse is useful for this problem. Can you show us some equations involving impulse, momentum, mass and velocity? Can you then write the equations for the two parts of the question?

berkeman said:
I think the concept of impulse is useful for this problem. Can you show us some equations involving impulse, momentum, mass and velocity? Can you then write the equations for the two parts of the question?
@BvU
For Q1:
I am trying to see the transition onto the incline as a round curve. I believe it collides with the ramp, and so there is some force between the mass and the ramp, which leads to an impulse on the mass. Let's say the angle of the ramp is ##\theta##.

It seems, that for the velocity vector v to change direction but retain its magnitude, the impulse must be directed at an angle ## 90 - \frac {\theta} {2}## from the ground. This would give a resultant velocity with magnitude same as before and angled at ##\theta##. May I know why the angle of the impulse is ## 90 - \frac {\theta} {2}##, instead of perpendicular to the slope (ie ## 90 - \theta ##)

phantomvommand said:
I am trying to see the transition onto the incline as a round curve
Yes, that is one way it is possible for speed to be maintained (initially). But that is not a single impact, more like an infinite sequence of tiny impacts.
If we assume a point particle and a smooth curve of radius r then the only loss of speed results from the climb of ##r(1-\cos(\theta)##. As we make r vanishingly small, that tends to zero.
Alternatively, it could be, say, a short ramp at angle ##\theta/2## followed immediately by the main ramp at angle ##\theta##. An elastic bounce off the short ramp does the trick.

Likes PeroK
phantomvommand said:
It seems, that for the velocity vector v to change direction but retain its magnitude, the impulse must be directed at an angle ## 90 - \frac {\theta} {2}## from the ground. This would give a resultant velocity with magnitude same as before and angled at ##\theta##. May I know why the angle of the impulse is ## 90 - \frac {\theta} {2}##, instead of perpendicular to the slope (ie ## 90 - \theta ##)

Say a particle is traveling along the ##x## axis at a speed ##v##, until it reaches the origin at ##t=0## and is subject to a kick ##F(t) = I\delta(t)## parallel to the ##y## axis. It's momentum in the ##y## direction changes as ##\Delta p_y = I \int \delta(t) dt = I## and it obtains a speed ##v_y = I / m## in the ##y## direction. Its direction has changed by an angle ##\theta = \mathrm{arctan}\left( I/ mv \right)##. Except, its speed is now ##v' = \sqrt{v^2 + v_y^2} \geq v##.

What if you fixed this by kicking it with an additional force ##G(t) = -J \delta(t)## parallel to the ##x## axis? It's momentum in the ##x## direction changes as ##\Delta p_x = -J## and its speed in the ##x## direction reduces to ##v_x = v - J/m##. The total speed of the particle is then\begin{align*}
v' = \sqrt{v_x^2 + v_y^2} = \sqrt{v^2 - 2vJ/m + J^2/m^2 + I^2 / m^2}
\end{align*}If the speed has not changed, ##v' = v##, then the condition relating ##I## and ##J## is ##J^2 -2mvJ + I^2 = 0##,\begin{align*}\implies J &= \dfrac{2mv - \sqrt{4 m^2 v^2 - 4I^2}}{2} = mv - \sqrt{m^2 v^2 - I^2}
\end{align*}The smaller root is taken since ##I, J \leq mv##. The speed in the ##x## direction, in terms of ##I##, would be\begin{align*}
v_x = \sqrt{v^2 - I^2/m^2}
\end{align*}The particle travels at an angle ##\theta## which satisfies\begin{align*}
\tan \theta = \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{m^2 v^2/I^2 - 1}} \equiv \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{\kappa^2 -1}} \\
\end{align*}where ##\kappa \equiv mv/I##. Meanwhile, the total impulse ##(-J, I)## applied to the ball was at an angle of ##\theta_\mathrm{im}## to the vertical, with\begin{align*}
\tan \theta_\mathrm{im} = J/I = \kappa - \sqrt{\kappa^2 - 1}
\end{align*}What can you say about the angles ##\theta## and ##\theta_{\mathrm{im}}##? Is this what you expect, by symmetry?

Last edited:
Likes berkeman

1. How does the angle of the ramp affect the velocity of the mass?

The angle of the ramp affects the velocity of the mass by changing the amount of force needed to move the mass up the ramp. The steeper the angle, the greater the force needed, resulting in a higher velocity.

2. Does the mass's weight affect its velocity when moving up a ramp?

Yes, the mass's weight does affect its velocity when moving up a ramp. The weight of the mass creates a downward force, known as gravity, which must be overcome by the force applied to move the mass up the ramp. This results in a change in velocity.

3. How does friction play a role in the velocity of the mass moving up a ramp?

Friction plays a significant role in the velocity of the mass moving up a ramp. Friction is the force that opposes motion, and it increases as the angle of the ramp increases. This means that more force is needed to overcome friction, resulting in a lower velocity.

4. Can the length of the ramp affect the velocity of the mass?

Yes, the length of the ramp can affect the velocity of the mass. A longer ramp allows the mass to travel a greater distance, resulting in a higher velocity. However, the angle of the ramp must also be taken into consideration, as a steeper angle will require more force to move the mass up the longer ramp, resulting in a lower velocity.

5. How does the mass of the object affect its velocity when moving up a ramp?

The mass of the object does not directly affect its velocity when moving up a ramp. However, a heavier mass will require more force to overcome gravity and friction, resulting in a lower velocity. On the other hand, a lighter mass will require less force, resulting in a higher velocity.