1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate instantaneous acceleration?

1. Feb 1, 2012 #1
    This is the graph and question:
    http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/3489/physicquestion.jpg [Broken]

I cannot seem to find the instantaneous acceleration. I must be doing it wrong because I'm pretty sure to find the the inst. acceleration all i need to know is the tangent line equation.

I've tried a bunch of answers but can't seem to get it right. I need to express the answer in m/s^2 and not km/h but that is easy to convert.

I haven't had much physics experience. How do i find the instantaneous acceleration?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2012 #2
    Since the acceleration is uniform, instantaneous acceleration = average acceleration.

acceleration = slope of v-t graph

from the graph, the slope of the graph during time = 30s to 40s is a straight line (that means the slope is not varying), that means the acceleration uniform.

so the instantaneous acceleration at time = 35s :
    = [(60/3.6) - 0 / (30 - 40)] = -1.667 m/s^2.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  4. Feb 1, 2012 #3

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's correct, so what is the definition of instantaneous acceleration and what is the slope of that line at t = 35 s?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook