1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Instantaneous Acceleration from a Velocity-Time graph

1. Feb 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A test driver is testing a new model car with a speedometer calibrated to read m/s rather than mi/h. The following series of speedometer readings were obtained during a test run along a long, straight road:

Time (s): 0 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16
    Speed (m/s): 0 0 2 6 10 16 19 22 22

I.e.,
    (0 s, 0 m/s)
    (2, 0)
    (4, 2)
    (6, 6)
    (8, 10)
    (10, 16)
    (12, 19)
    (14, 22)
    (16, 22)

(a) Compute the average acceleration during each 2-s interval. Is the acceleration constant? Is it constant during any part of the test run?
    (b) Make a velocityx-time graph of the data above, using scales of 1 cm = 1 s horizontally and 1 cm = 2 m/s vertically. Draw a smooth curve through the plotted points. By measuring the slope of your curve, find the instantaneous acceleration at t = 9 s, 13 s, and 15 s.

2. Relevant equations
    Average Acceleration
    a = (Δvx)/Δt

Instantaneous Acceleration
    a = dvx/dt

3. The attempt at a solution

I know how to get the answers for (a) and these are 0m/s/s, 1 m/s/s, 2 m/s/s, 2 m/s/s, 3 m/s/s, 1.5 m/s/s, 1.5 m/s/s, and 0 m/s/s. Acceleration is constant at 2 m/s/s and 1.5 m/s/s.

For (b), I made a graph as specified and tried finding the slopes of the tangent lines at t = 9 s, 13 s, and 15 s. My answers have not matched the book's, which are 2.5 m/s/s, 1.5 m/s/s, and 0 m/s/s, respectively. It makes sense that the instantaneous acceleration at 15 s is 0 m/s/s as there is no rise in the tangent line at t = 15 s and so the slope equals 0.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Aff, and (a belated) welcome to PF :smile:

Your answers don't match the book, you say. What are your answers ?

I looked at the plot and I can imagine that smoothing would move the point (10, 16) a bit down, e.g. to (10,15). Then the slope would match the 2.5 m/s2.

For the other two I wouldn't expeect your answers to deviate very much. am I right ?

4. Feb 27, 2015 #3
    Your calculated accelerations are correct, and match the book answers at 13 and 15 s. The book answer is wrong at 9 s, but yours is correct there too.

Chet

5. Feb 27, 2015 #4
    Hey BvU,

Thanks for the welcome!

My answers varied as I tried quite a few different tangent lines for each point. I was able to get an instantaneous accelerations of 3.5 m/s/s and ~3.0 at 9 s, 1.5 m/s/s and ~1.33 m/s/s at 13 s, and of course 0 m/s/s at 15 s.

@Chestermiller

Is finding the slope of the tangent lines at each point a correct way of finding the instantaneous acceleration at those points?

6. Feb 27, 2015 #5
    It's a very accurate approximation for the center of each time interval. With discrete data like this, it's the best you can do.

7. Feb 28, 2015 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi folks,

This is pretty pedantic, but I liked this exercise, so there. Some remarks:

The story is about an accelerating car, so gear shifts can be a reason for a not-all-that-smooth acceleration versus time.
    That aside, the exercise tekst wants a smooth curve drawn. I'm no artist, so I let a program (Excel ?:) ) do the work: a third order polynomial does a reasonable job. Again, it doesn't know the driver takes his foot off the pedal at 14 s, so it overshoots, but never mind. And the four-digits are way too much accuracy (And yes, I did find the button to reduce that, but too late). See the red line.

upload_2015-2-28_14-46-33.png

I am pleased to see it indeed draws the line through (10, 15) -- but, again, it doesn't know about possible gear shifts.
    Slope of line = derivative = instantaneous acceleration at t = 9, 13, 15s: 2.4, 1.25 and 0.04, respectively.
    In view of the accuracy of the data, 2.5, 1.5 and 0 are adequate.

3.5 or 3 m/s2 at t = 9s to me seems on the high side. Unless it's a pretty bad driver, fumbling that gear shift -- but in that case a smooth line isn't justified.

8. Feb 28, 2015 #7
    Ah. I didn't notice the part about putting a smooth curve through the data.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted