How to calculate Laws of Thermal Radiation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
JayWilks
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
1. Star X has a surface temperature of 10,000 K. How much power does it emit per square meter? Enter numbers only. Do not enter units (watt/m2 is assumed)
2. Star X has a surface temperature of 10,000 K. What is the wavelength of the dominate electromagnetic radiation that Star X emits? Enter numbers only. Do not enter units (nanometers, nm is assumed)

I know that I'm supposed to use Stefan-Boltzmann Law for the first question and Wien's Law for the second but I have no idea on how to go about it. Any help would be truly appreciated
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Radiation emitted is computed for things here on Earth by multiplying the absolute temperature to the 4th power by the Stephan-Boltzmann constant and the emissivity. If you assume the star is a black body, the emissivity is unity.
 
LawrenceC said:
Radiation emitted is computed for things here on Earth by multiplying the absolute temperature to the 4th power by the Stephan-Boltzmann constant and the emissivity. If you assume the star is a black body, the emissivity is unity.

I was doing okay in this course until this lesson. I am taking this class online and this all seems way over my head, even what you just stated to me I'm having a hard time understanding. I think I found the formulas to get my answers but I don't know how or if they can be inputted to a calculator.