1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate Laws of Thermal Radiation

1. Feb 27, 2012 #1
    1. Star X has a surface temperature of 10,000 K. How much power does it emit per square meter? Enter numbers only. Do not enter units (watt/m2 is assumed)

2. Star X has a surface temperature of 10,000 K. What is the wavelength of the dominate electromagnetic radiation that Star X emits? Enter numbers only. Do not enter units (nanometers, nm is assumed)

I know that I'm supposed to use Stefan-Boltzmann Law for the first question and Wien's Law for the second but I have no idea on how to go about it. Any help would be truly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2012 #2
    Radiation emitted is computed for things here on earth by multiplying the absolute temperature to the 4th power by the Stephan-Boltzmann constant and the emissivity. If you assume the star is a black body, the emissivity is unity.

4. Feb 27, 2012 #3
    I was doing okay in this course until this lesson. I am taking this class online and this all seems way over my head, even what you just stated to me I'm having a hard time understanding. I think I found the formulas to get my answers but I don't know how or if they can be inputted to a calculator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook