How to calculate the size of a star with just temperature

In summary, according to the student, it is difficult to estimate the size of a star without knowing its temperature. Additionally, some size effects must be accounted for in order to observe them. For binary stars, a method known as eclipse can be used to estimate their size.
timnswede

Homework Statement

This isn't a specific problem, but my professor told us that we can calculate the size of a star if we know the temperature of it.

Homework Equations

Stefan-Boltzmann Law, Wien's displacement law.

The Attempt at a Solution

With the temperature i can also get the intensity with Stefan-Boltzmann law and intensity is power over area and area is what i want. But I don't see how I am supposed to be able to calculate area without also knowing the power. My professor also mentioned wavelength which I know I can calculate with Wien's displacement law if i know the temperature, but I can't figure out how that will help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
timnswede said:
With the temperature i can also get the intensity with Stefan-Boltzmann law and intensity is power over area and area is what i want. But I don't see how I am supposed to be able to calculate area without also knowing the power. My professor also mentioned wavelength which I know I can calculate with Wien's displacement law if i know the temperature, but I can't figure out how that will help me.

with the temperature of a star-T known
the amount of radiation emitted can be estimated using the famous Stefan- Boltzmann law.

therefore if one can estimate the Luminosity ,there are methods using H-R diagrams that its size can be estimated..
Energy radiated per sec per unit area is equivalent to stefan's constant x T^4 and
if the star has radius R
then one can relate energy radiated per sec to temp..
and if comparison is made with other steller radiators one can have some idea about its size

Likes timnswede
So without knowing luminosity (which is just power?) then the area can't be found?

timnswede said:
So without knowing luminosity (which is just power?) then the area can't be found?

its difficult as some size effects must be there to be observed -apart from temperature!
at least for single stars.

for binary stars some eclipse method gives an estimate of size -
as binary stars move about its center of mass and can eclipse each other and during eclipse the emitted spectral line Doppler shift can be related to their speed
and the time of eclipse can be used to estimate their size.

1. How does temperature determine the size of a star?

The temperature of a star is directly related to its size. This is because temperature is a measure of the energy being generated within the star's core. The more energy a star produces, the more pressure it exerts on its outer layers, causing it to expand and increase in size.

2. Can the size of a star be calculated using only its temperature?

Yes, the size of a star can be estimated using its temperature. Scientists have developed mathematical models and equations that relate a star's temperature to its size. However, these calculations are based on assumptions and may not always accurately reflect the true size of a star.

3. What other factors besides temperature can affect the size of a star?

While temperature is a major factor in determining the size of a star, there are other factors that can also play a role. These include the star's mass, composition, and age. A star with a higher mass, for example, will have a stronger gravitational pull, which can affect its size.

4. How do scientists measure the temperature of a star?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to measure the temperature of stars. One common method is through spectroscopy, which involves analyzing the light emitted by a star and identifying the wavelengths that correspond to different elements. Another method is through photometry, which measures the brightness of a star at different wavelengths to determine its temperature.

5. Is it possible to determine the size of a star with 100% accuracy using only its temperature?

No, it is not possible to determine the size of a star with complete accuracy using only its temperature. While temperature is an important factor, there are other variables and uncertainties that can affect the calculations. Scientists often use multiple methods and data points to estimate the size of a star and these estimates may not always be 100% accurate.