How to Calculate Population Size at T+1 Using Life Tables?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
atomant
Messages
27
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


http://imgur.com/OInF6O2

The blue table shows the mortality and offspring production rates per year per age class by individuals of an unnamed species. The orange tables shows the starting population at time t, I have to find the number of individuals at T+1 (next year)


Homework Equations



Not sure if relavent but an equation is given: r = ln (NT+1)/NT)/T

The Attempt at a Solution


http://imgur.com/pilNkOP

Would love if someone could check the workings though or see if this makes sense
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mfb said:
How did you get the first value?
I agree with the others.

Well the basic idea was to calculate the Mx values for the age groups that had an initial population at times t, which means age groups 2 and 3 which has Mx values of 3 and 2 respectively. Therefore the number of 0 age offspring should be 5 (I think)..don't really know how I got 7. Is this correct?
 
Those mx values are "offspring per individual and year". It mean a single individual at age 1 will (on average) get 2 children.

How many do 10 at age 2 get then? And the other groups?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
mfb said:
Those mx values are "offspring per individual and year". It mean a single individual at age 1 will (on average) get 2 children.

How many do 10 at age 2 get then? And the other groups?

Ah, I see - so the 10 at age 2 will on average have 30 offspring at t+1 (10 individuals and mx of 3).

The question now then is do I assume that all 10 individuals are alive at t+1 to reproduce? i.e- at age 2 the have a mortality rate of 10%, which means 9 individuals will survive at t+1 to become 3yr olds so do I assume that reproduction occurs after the death based on mortality rate happens or do I assume that these 2yr olds will reproduce before dying? Depending on these assumptions the offspring will either be 30 or 27. The question doesn't specify so I am unsure which is the most logical assumption to take.
 
I would read the table in a way that mortality does not have to be taken into account - in other words, they get children before they can die.
 
Thank you so much for your help, you have been amazing!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person