Exponential distribution/hydra population

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the mortality rate of hydra and whether an exponential distribution is an appropriate model for it. The conversation includes a process for solving the problem and a debate about its difficulty as a Calc II problem. Ultimately, it is determined that the problem does fall within the scope of a Calc II course and the expected number of hydra to die within the first six months is approximately 60.
APolaris
Hi,

Somebody asked me for some help with his calc II homework, and this was one of the questions:

"A hydra is a small freshwater animal and studies have shown that its probability of dying does not increase with the passage of time. The lack of influence of age on mortality rates for this species indicates that an exponential distribution is an appropriate model for the mortality of hydra. A biologist studies a population of 500 hydra and observes that 200 of them die within the first 2 years. How many of the hydra would you expect to die within the first six months?"

Now, I saw a problem like this on a past actuarial exam and ran straight to the following process. But I'm about ready to smack the instructor in the head for believing this is a calc II problem, so I wanted to check to make sure I'm not missing anything in the wording of the problem that makes it much simpler than this before I do so.

My process: First, the probability that a given hydra will die within 2 years is 0.4. Therefore, set 0.4 equal to the integral from 0 to 2 of (lambda * e^(-lambda * t)) dt. Integrating this gives 1 - e^-2(lambda). Then set e^-2(lambda) equal to 0.6 and solve, giving lambda = -ln(0.6)/2. Next, find P(T<0.5) which is integral from 0 to 0.5 of (lambda * e^(-lambda * t))dt, or 1 - e^[ln(0.6)/4], or 1 - (0.6)^(1/4) = 0.11988. Then multiply that by 500 to get 59.944, rounding up to 60.

Physics news on Phys.org
That isn't how I would expect a CalcII student to work the problem. It is likely in the exponential decay section of his book and wouldn't be interpreted as a probability problem. The student would assume from the given information that the population at time t is given by an expontial decay$$
P(t) = P_0e^{-kt} = 500e^{-kt}$$Then it is given that $$P(2) = 300 = 500e^{-2k}$$Solving as you did gives ##k=\frac {\ln {.6}}{-2}=.2554## approximately. So is equation is$$
P(t) = 500e^{-.2554t}$$This gives ##P(1/2) = 440.04##, or approximately 60 dead hydras.

So it is in fact an appropriate CalcII problem.

Last edited:

What is the Exponential Distribution?

The Exponential Distribution is a probability distribution that describes the amount of time it takes for an event to occur. It is commonly used to model situations where there is a constant rate of occurrence, such as the time between phone calls or the lifespan of a product.

How is the Exponential Distribution related to the Hydra Population?

The Exponential Distribution can be used to model the growth of the Hydra Population, as it describes the amount of time it takes for a new hydra to be produced. This can help researchers understand the rate of growth and predict future population sizes.

What are the key assumptions of the Exponential Distribution?

The key assumptions of the Exponential Distribution include a constant rate of occurrence or growth, independent events, and a continuous measurement scale. In the case of the Hydra Population, these assumptions would mean that the hydra reproduce at a constant rate, each new hydra is independent of the others, and the population can be measured continuously.

Can the Exponential Distribution accurately predict the growth of the Hydra Population?

While the Exponential Distribution can provide useful insights and predictions about the growth of the Hydra Population, it is important to note that it is a model and may not always accurately reflect real-world data. Other factors such as environmental changes and competition for resources may also impact the growth of the hydra population.

What are some potential applications of studying the Exponential Distribution and the Hydra Population?

Studying the Exponential Distribution and the Hydra Population can have various potential applications, such as understanding the population dynamics of other species, developing efficient population control strategies, and predicting the spread of diseases in a population. Additionally, this research can provide valuable insights into the fundamental principles of population growth and dynamics.