How to calculate power provided by a battery

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with 2 resistors in series connected to 2 batteries and the question of how much energy is being provided by the 12-volt battery in 3 seconds. The equations for power are mentioned, as well as the current, voltage, and resistance. The attempt at a solution involves using different equations, resulting in different answers. The conversation ends with a question about the 9V battery and a clue as to why the two power values may be different.
miaou5

Homework Statement

The diagram is of a circuit with 2 resistors in series (1 ohm and 2 ohms) connected to 2 batteries (a 9 V battery and a 12 V battery). The question asks, how much energy is provided by the 12-volt battery in 3 seconds?

Homework Equations

Power = IV = I^2R = V^2/R

I = current, V = voltage, R = resistance

The Attempt at a Solution

I used P = I^2R at first, since I already calculated I (= 1 amp) for a previous part. Thus, P = ((1)^2)*(1+2) = 3 watts. It's over 3 seconds, so it would be 3 watts * 3 seconds = 9 joules. However, when I use P = IV, I get a different answer; P = (1)*(12) = 12 watts. 12 watts * 3 sec = 36 joules.

How is this possible? I thought the equations were equivalent--if anyone could shed some light on this, that would be great! Thank you so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
How much energy is being supplied by the 9v source?

miaou5 said:
I already calculated I (= 1 amp) for a previous part.

That suggests the 12V and 9V batteries are arranged to give 3V across the resistors. Correct?

I used P = I^2R at first, since I already calculated I (= 1 amp) for a previous part. Thus, P = ((1)^2)*(1+2) = 3 watts

That's the equation for the power dissipated in the resistors which might be different to that delivered by the 12V battery. aralbrec has given you a good clue as to why these two are not the same thing. What's happening to the 9V battery?

1. How do I calculate the power provided by a battery?

To calculate the power provided by a battery, you need to know the battery's voltage and current. The power can be calculated by multiplying the voltage by the current.

2. What is the unit of measurement for battery power?

The unit of measurement for battery power is watts (W). This is a unit of power that represents the rate at which energy is used or produced.

3. Can battery power be converted to other units?

Yes, battery power can be converted to other units such as milliwatts (mW) or kilowatts (kW). This can be done by using conversion factors or online conversion tools.

4. Is the power provided by a battery constant?

No, the power provided by a battery is not constant. It can vary depending on factors such as the type of battery, its age, and the load it is powering. The power output can also decrease as the battery discharges.

5. How does the power provided by a battery affect its lifespan?

The power provided by a battery can affect its lifespan. If a battery is constantly supplying high levels of power, it can decrease its overall lifespan. It is important to use batteries within their recommended power output to prolong their lifespan.