How to calculate price of artificial oil

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tiger Blood
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Oil
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
Tiger Blood
Messages
50
Reaction score
11
I was watching this video about a company that has a device which sucks CO2 out of air, mixes carbon with hydrogen from water and makes fuel for cars


They say that it can power cars even better that gasoline you get from crude oil and that it costs the same, but is there a way I can do some calculations to get some approximate price of that artificial gasoline?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That video is a substandard reference for PF, but your question is a good one so I'll allow it.

The topic is not free energy. It is a fuel obtained at a cost. Please confine answers to the cost.

Edit: it would be most helpful if someone can find a published paper including engineering calculations for that claimed fuel.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
See previous PF threads on related topics.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/is-this-another-hydrogen-vehicle-scam.940158/#post-5944468
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/water-as-a-fuel-in-cars.144105/
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/water-for-fuel.745406/#post-4701066
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/water-power-in-a-slightly-different-sense.731465/#post-4621858

The general conclusion is that fuel cell cars powered by O2 from air plus H from electrolysis is not economical.

This scheme adds to that by substituting CO2 for the O2. I found this reference: https://www.forbes.com/sites/energy...-for-reducing-u-s-co2-emissions/#4258438c6482 that puts the cost for CO2 capture from fossil power plant exhausts at about $50/MWh. Capturing it from the air would be 100x (?) more expensive. So this scheme is far more expensive than a simpler scheme which itself is uneconomical.

It would be great to see a paper published by the claimants so that we could check their calculations. I suspect that they make it sound good by assigning a wildly inflated value to avoiding more CO2 in the atmosphere. But that's just speculation because we can't see the source.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman