Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water for fuel

1. Mar 26, 2014 #1
    Breaking the hydrogen-oxygen bond in water with electrolysis creates a brown gas with a great deal of potential as a fuel for cars and homes. Some of this is being done, however, increasing the amount of H and O gas released would be a big plus. There are several variables using a 12 V dc current (auto). The electrolyte used seems to be the biggest. I am looking for a good combination of materials for the electrodes, electrolytes and any other variables that would enhance brown gas production. Loyd

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2014 #2

maajdl

Gold Member

4. Mar 26, 2014 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

Water is not a fuel, it is a waste product of combustion. So any energy that you put into it to "unburn" it will be greater than what you get back by burning it again.

5. Mar 26, 2014 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

'Brown gas' is not a fuel, unless you take ordinary gasoline and dye it brown. It's not clear what the OP is talking about, since both hydrogen and oxygen are colorless gasses.

6. Mar 26, 2014 #5
    What I am doing is separating the H & O with electrolysis. The bond breaks readily with a 12 V DC current and about 5 amps. The resulting H is a good source of energy. I want to refine it using the best combination of electrolytes and metals for the process. Loyd

7. Mar 26, 2014 #6
    SteamKing... The gas from breaking water using and electrolyte and a DC current is commonly referred to as brown gas.

8. Mar 26, 2014 #7

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Time for a thread closure I'm afraid. There is a Wiki page for Oxyhydrogen, which states:

Oh. And reference 4 is this:

Burning water and other myths

9. Mar 26, 2014 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yes, I understand what you are doing. Do you understand that the theoretical maximum efficiency possible from your complete cycle is zero and a more likely maximum efficiency is -80% (you put in 5x as much energy as you get back)?

Please read the provided links. Yes, it is time for a thread closure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook