How to calculate Resistors in a circuit ?

In summary: for clearing that up for me.inverse 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/4 = 0.8then i add 0.8 to the single 4 Ω and the sum = 4.8
Vantom
Homework Statement
i tried to solve for this question as far as i know to calculate the resistors you only need to add all of them but my answer of 12 was wrong
Relevant Equations
r1+r2+r3.....
here is the question below with all the possible answers, if anyone can help it would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
You only add resistors that are connected in series. What do you do with resistors that are connected in parallel?

Likes JD_PM
Orodruin said:
You only add resistors that are connected in series. What do you do with resistors that are connected in parallel?
for parallel i use the formula 1/r1+1/r2+1/r3
but this one is a complex of both parallel and a series

Start by replacing the parallel resistors by an equivalent single resistor.

Orodruin said:
Start by replacing the parallel resistors by an equivalent single resistor.
1/4 + 1/4 = 2 that's the total of the parallel resistors but from there i don't know how to add it to the sum of the series resistors to get the total answer

Vantom said:
1/4 + 1/4 = 2 that's the total of the parallel resistors
This is not correct. There are three parallel resistors, not two.

Edit: Also, it should obviously be 1/(1/4 + 1/4) = 2.

Orodruin said:
This is not correct. There are three parallel resistors, not two.

Edit: Also, it should obviously be 1/(1/4 + 1/4) = 2.
its the same answer (2) as mine
but the problem is i don't know how to add it to the other ohms in series so i can get the total resistance

Vantom said:
its the same answer (2) as mine
My point is that you quoted the computation wrong. Also, the answer is wrong because there are three resistors in parallel, not two. Also, there are not two 4 Ω resistors that are connected in parallel.

So let us go back to the basics: Which resistors in your figure are connected in parallel? Which resistors are connected in series?

4 Ω and the other 4 Ω are in parallel while 2 Ω and 2 Ω are in series

Vantom said:
4 Ω and the other 4 Ω are in parallel while 2 Ω and 2 Ω are in series
No. This is incorrect. Look up the definition of series and parallel.

Orodruin said:
No. This is incorrect. Look up the definition of series and parallel.
so 2 Ω and 2 Ω and 4 Ω are in parallel and the 4 Ω alone is in series
i have to sum the parallel ohms to replace them with a single resistor of 8 right ?

Vantom said:
so 2 Ω and 2 Ω and 4 Ω are in parallel and the 4 Ω alone is in series
i have to sum the parallel ohms to replace them with a single resistor of 8 right ?
No. It is correct that the 2-2-4 combination is in parallel. However, you did not use the correct relation to get the equivalent resistance to replace that entire combination.

Orodruin said:
No. It is correct that the 2-2-4 combination is in parallel. However, you did not use the correct relation to get the equivalent resistance to replace that entire combination.
inverse 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/4 = 0.8
then i add 0.8 to the single 4 Ω and the sum = 4.8

i was only confused by the parallel and series situation as the circuit is rotated
thank you

Last edited:

What is a resistor?

A resistor is an electrical component that limits the flow of current in a circuit. It is typically made of a material that resists the flow of electrons, thus reducing the amount of current passing through it.

How do I calculate the resistance of a resistor?

The resistance of a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). In equation form, this is expressed as R = V/I.

What units are used to measure resistance?

Resistance is measured in ohms (Ω), which is the unit of electrical resistance. Other common units include kilohms (kΩ) and megohms (MΩ).

How do I determine the color code of a resistor?

Resistors are often color-coded to indicate their resistance value. The color code can be determined by looking at the bands of color on the resistor. Each color represents a specific number, and the values can be combined to determine the overall resistance of the resistor.

What is the purpose of resistors in a circuit?

Resistors serve several purposes in a circuit. They can be used to control the amount of current flowing through a circuit, to reduce the voltage in a circuit, or to divide the voltage in a circuit. They are also commonly used to protect other components from being damaged by excessive current.