How to Calculate Subsolar Magnetopause Distance at 0.4 AU?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Imagin_e
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Imagin_e
Messages
58
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement

Hi!
I need to calculate the subsolar magnetopause distance (r_mp) when the distance to Earth is 0.4 AU. I have all the formulas and the data, but I still don’t get a reasonable value (it’s too small!)
Here is what I know:

Solar wind density: 5 cm^-3 (rho_sw)
Solar wind speed=400 km/s (u_sw)
Magnetic field at Earth’s surface= 5*10^-6 T (B_E)
u_0= magnetic constant permeability= 4*pi*10-7 T m/A

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


First I start to calculate the thermal pressure:

p= rho_sw*(u_sw)^2

next, the magnetic field when the distance is 0.4 AU, where r= 1AU * 0.4:

B(0.4)=B_E*(R_E/r)And finally I use the following equation to get the distance I am searching for in term of Earth radius R_E:

(r_mp/R_E)=[(2*B(r)^2)/( u_0*p)]^1/6

But as I mentioned, the value is not “the right one”. Can I get help from someone?
Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org