How to calculate the intensity of light, given area and mass

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Michael Moynihan
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



You want to support a sheet of fireproof paper horizontally, using only a vertical upward beam of light spread uniformly over the sheet. There is no other light on this paper. The sheet measures 20.8 cm by 28.8 cm and has a mass of 1.70 g .
(a) If the paper is black and hence absorbs all the light that hits it, what must be the intensity of the light beam?[/B]

Homework Equations


I=P/A
A=w*h

The Attempt at a Solution


A=0.0599m^2
I do not know power, so I do not know the intensity. What information does saying that the paper absorbs all the light that hits it actually give me?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Each photon can have momentum, as well as having energy. I'm on my phone, but you can search for momentum photons to get related information.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Michael Moynihan
Michael Moynihan said:
What information does saying that the paper absorbs all the light that hits it actually give me?
It affects the momentum conservation equation.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: scottdave and Michael Moynihan