1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate the intensity of light, given area and mass

1. Dec 2, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You want to support a sheet of fireproof paper horizontally, using only a vertical upward beam of light spread uniformly over the sheet. There is no other light on this paper. The sheet measures 20.8 cm by 28.8 cm and has a mass of 1.70 g .
    (a) If the paper is black and hence absorbs all the light that hits it, what must be the intensity of the light beam?

2. Relevant equations
    I=P/A
    A=w*h

3. The attempt at a solution
    A=0.0599m^2
    I do not know power, so I do not know the intensity. What information does saying that the paper absorbs all the light that hits it actually give me?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2017 #2

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Each photon can have momentum, as well as having energy. I'm on my phone, but you can search for momentum photons to get related information.

4. Dec 2, 2017 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It affects the momentum conservation equation.

5. Dec 2, 2017 #4
    Thanks guys! Got it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted