Intensity of polarized light that has passed through two polarizing sheets

In summary: I need the one for expanding ##\sin(2\theta)##.I'm not even sure how sin(2θ) plays into the mix in this problem seeing as they are both cos2 functions, but no I do...
Kant Destroyer

Homework Statement

A beam of polarized light of intensity 43.0 W/m2 is sent through a system of two polarizing
sheets. Relative to the polarization direction of that incident light, the polarizing directions of the sheets
are at angles θ for the first sheet and 90 degrees for the second sheet. If the intensity of the final, transmitted light is 8.6 W/m2, what is the value of θ?

Homework Equations

I = I0cos2(θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I recognized that to solve the problem I had to work backwards to solve for θ.

I used the equation I = I0cos2(θ) and found that Ifinal = I1cos2(90-θ), where I1 is the intensity of the light after passing through the first polarizing sheet. Now I'm unsure where to head with this because I have two unknown variables, I1 and (90-θ). I am also lacking another equation to use a system of equations as far as I can tell.

Physics news on Phys.org
What fraction of light makes it through the first polarising sheet?

haruspex said:
What fraction of light makes it through the first polarising sheet?
The intensity of the light that is between the first and second polarizing sheets can be seen in my original post as I1.

Kant Destroyer said:
The intensity of the light that is between the first and second polarizing sheets can be seen in my original post as I1.
Sure, but how does it relate mathematically to l0?

haruspex said:
Sure, but how does it relate mathematically to l0?
The relationship between I0 and I1 is: I1 = I0cos2(θ). Are you suggesting that I substitute this in for I1 in my equation and then solve for θ? I have tried this and I am not sure how to solve for theta in this instance.

Kant Destroyer said:
The relationship between I0 and I1 is: I1 = I0cos2(θ).
How is theta involved? It hasn't reached the second filter yet.

haruspex said:
How is theta involved? It hasn't reached the second filter yet.
As described in the question, theta is the angle of orientation of the first sheet relative to the polarization direction of the light entering the sheet. Per the relevant equation, this means that theta is used to find the intensity of the light after it has traveled through the first polarizing sheet.

Kant Destroyer said:
As described in the question, theta is the angle of orientation of the first sheet relative to the polarization direction of the light entering the sheet.
You have I0 initially, I1 between the two sheets, I2 finally.
The last two are related by ##I_2 = I_1 \cos^2(\theta)##.
I'm asking how I1 relates to I0. Remember that the light between the two filters doesn't 'know' it's about to go through a second filter, so the angle theta can have nothing to do with this relationship. If it helps, mentally throw the second filter away and answer my question.

haruspex said:
You have I0 initially, I1 between the two sheets, I2 finally.
The last two are related by ##I_2 = I_1 \cos^2(\theta)##.
I'm asking how I1 relates to I0. Remember that the light between the two filters doesn't 'know' it's about to go through a second filter, so the angle theta can have nothing to do with this relationship. If it helps, mentally throw the second filter away and answer my question.

I think you misunderstand my original post because I failed to use another variable for the angle between the two polarizing sheets and instead used (90-θ). Theta is meant to represent the angle of orientation of the first polarizing sheet, and per the relevant equation it is used to find I1.

Kant Destroyer said:
I think you misunderstand my original post because I failed to use another variable for the angle between the two polarizing sheets and instead used (90-θ). Theta is meant to represent the angle of orientation of the first polarizing sheet, and per the relevant equation it is used to find I1.
Sorry, dealing with too many threads at once. let me start again.
You have Ifinal = I1cos2(90-θ), I1 = I0cos2(θ) and the value of Ifinal / I0 . So your difficulty is in simplifying the trig, yes?
What trig formulae do you know which involve expressions like sin(θ)cos(θ)?

haruspex said:
Sorry, dealing with too many threads at once. let me start again.
You have Ifinal = I1cos2(90-θ), I1 = I0cos2(θ) and the value of Ifinal / I0 . So your difficulty is in simplifying the trig, yes?
What trig formulae do you know which involve expressions like sin(θ)cos(θ)?
The only trig formulas I remember are sin2+cos2 = 1 and cos2(θ) = 1/2 + 1/2cos(2θ).

Kant Destroyer said:
The only trig formulas I remember are sin2+cos2 = 1 and cos2(θ) = 1/2 + 1/2cos(2θ).
You need the one for expanding ##\sin(2\theta)##, and one for ##\cos(90-\theta)##. You don't know those?

haruspex said:
You need the one for expanding ##\sin(2\theta)##, and one for ##\cos(90-\theta)##. You don't know those?
I'm not even sure how sin(2θ) plays into the mix in this problem seeing as they are both cos2 functions, but no I do not know those. If I remember correctly the cos(90-θ) is actually just sin(θ) but I'm not sure about that.

Kant Destroyer said:
cos(90-θ) is actually just sin(θ)
Right. So making that substitution, write out the equation for Ifinal as a function of I0.

haruspex said:
Right. So making that substitution, write out the equation for Ifinal as a function of I0.
Ifinal/cos2(θ)sin2(θ) = I0

EDIT: Misread your response. Ifinal = I0cos2(θ)sin2(θ)

Kant Destroyer said:
Ifinal = I0cos2(θ)sin2(θ)
Right. You ought to know that ##\sin(2\theta) = 2\sin(\theta)\cos(\theta)##.

so cos2(θ)sin2(θ) = 1/4sin2(2θ) ?

Kant Destroyer said:
so cos2(θ)sin2(θ) = 1/4sin2(2θ) ?
If you mean (1/4)sin2(2θ) , yes. Now you can use the two trig equations you posted earlier to get rid of the remaining quadratic.

haruspex said:
If you mean (1/4)sin2(2θ) , yes. Now you can use the two trig equations you posted earlier to get rid of the remaining quadratic.
Thank you very much for taking the time to help me.

Kant Destroyer said:
Thank you very much for taking the time to help me.
OK. Sorry about my earlier misdirection.

What is the definition of intensity of polarized light?

The intensity of polarized light refers to the amount of energy per unit time passing through a specific area of space. It is a measure of the brightness or strength of polarized light.

How is the intensity of polarized light measured?

The intensity of polarized light can be measured using a polarimeter, which is a device that uses two polarizing sheets to filter light and then measures the intensity of the light that passes through.

What happens to the intensity of polarized light when it passes through two polarizing sheets?

The intensity of polarized light decreases as it passes through two polarizing sheets. The first sheet filters out some of the light, and the second sheet further reduces the intensity by only allowing light with a specific polarization orientation to pass through.

Why is the intensity of polarized light important in scientific experiments?

The intensity of polarized light is important in scientific experiments because it can provide valuable information about the properties of the light source, such as its polarization direction and the amount of energy it contains. This information can help scientists understand and analyze various phenomena and materials.

What factors can affect the intensity of polarized light passing through two polarizing sheets?

The intensity of polarized light can be affected by various factors, such as the angle between the polarizing sheets, the wavelength of the light, the properties of the polarizing sheets, and the characteristics of the light source. Additionally, any obstructions or imperfections in the polarizing sheets can also affect the intensity of the light passing through.