How to calculate the lattice sums of BCC?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ilovecubes
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Lattice Sums
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 11K views
ilovecubes
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
How do I calculate the lattice sums A12 and A6 for a BCC structure?

I have calculated the following so far:

A12 = 8(1/1)^12 + 6(1/root2)^12 + 12(1/2)^12 + 16(1/root5.5)^12 + 8(1/root6)^12 = 8.097.

Have i made any mistakes? Are my nearest neighbour values correct? Please help! o:)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ilovecubes said:
How do I calculate the lattice sums A12 and A6 for a BCC structure?

I have calculated the following so far:

A12 = 8(1/1)^12 + 6(1/root2)^12 + 12(1/2)^12 + 16(1/root5.5)^12 + 8(1/root6)^12 = 8.097.

Have i made any mistakes? Are my nearest neighbour values correct? Please help! o:)

Second nearest neighbors distance is a (lattice constant).
First n.n. distance is a*sqrt(3)/2 (half body diagonal)
So the coefficient in the second term should be (sqrt(3)/2)^12.