How to Calculate the Length of Wire Needed for a Solenoid?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dpeagler
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Solenoid
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
dpeagler
Messages
32
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A solenoid is designed to produce a magnetic field of 2.2 * 10^-2 t its center. It has a radius of 1.6 cm and a length of 44 cm, and the wire can carry a max current of 13 A.

The first question was what minimum number of turns per unit length must the solenoid have?

I found that to be 1350 m^-1

But the second question was what total length of wire is required?

Homework Equations



?

The Attempt at a Solution



I thought since I knew turns per unit length, current, and the magentic field that I could simply solve in reverse for this, but that's apparently not the case.

I figured that they were giving me the dimensions for something, but I'm not sure what equation to plug that into.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Radius of the solenoid is given. The length of one tern of the wire is the circumference of the solenoid. You have calculated the number of the terns per meter. From that find the length of the wire required to construct the solenoid of the given length