How to calculate the possible number of combinations

In summary: This is because each section can either be colored or not, so for 16 sections, you have 2 options for each one, resulting in 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 possible combinations. In summary, if there are N sections and n colored sections, there are 2N possible combinations. This can be calculated using the formula N! / (n! x (N-n)!). For example, for 4 sections with only one color, there are 16 possible combinations (2^4) and for 16 sections with only one
Laura72
Hi, I am new here hoping to find someone who can help.

I am an artist working mainly in Geometric forms. My work follows a set grid and I want to use math to work out all the possible combinations of my grid. Math generally makes my head hurt, so I am hoping someone can explain in real simple terms how to work this out!

My grid is a square split into 16 sections. I would like to know how many possible combinations could be made by coloring one section, or combinations of more than one section.

E.g. I know I could produce 16 paintings by colouring one different section on each painting and leaving the others blank. But what if I colour sections 1 and 8 and leave the others blank, or sections 1, 8 and 11….etc.

How many possible paintings are there? Can I work this out using a simple formula (if such a thing exists?!) Is it thousands?!

(If it's easier to explain with a smaller number maybe start with 4 sections!)

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let's start by assuming you just have one color, so each section is either colored or not. In your simple case with four sections, it would work out as follows:

(A) No section colored - 1 possibility.
(B) 1 Section colored - 4 possibilities, the colored section is either 1,2,3, or 4
(C) 2 sections colored - 6 possibilities, the colored sections are either 12, 13, 14, 23, 24, or 34.
(D) 3 sections colored - 4 possibilities, the colored sections are either 123, 124, 134, or 234.
(E) 4 sections colored - 1 possibility - 1234.

If you add these up, there are 1+4+6+4+1 = 16 possibilities for 4 sections. It turns out this is a general rule. If there are N sections and n colored sections, there are [itex]\frac{N!}{N! (N-n)!}[/itex] possibilities for coloring them, and when you add them all up, there are 2N possibilities in all. So for your 16 sections, there are 216 = 65,536 possibilities.

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, I was basing it on just having one color.

I understood the beginning of your answer, but I’m afraid I got lost once you put in the formula!

Would you mind explaining what does ‘N!N!(N−n)!’mean? Would it be possible to write out it in words?

Also, 216 means 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 right?!

Thank you.

The exclamation point is the math symbol for "factorial", which means multiply all the integers from 1 to your number. So 3! is 1*2*3 = 6 and 4! is 1*2*3*4 = 24 and so forth.

Laura72 said:
Also, 216 means 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 right?!

Right!

1. What is the formula for calculating combinations?

The formula for calculating combinations is nCr = n! / r!(n-r)!, where n represents the total number of items and r represents the number of items being chosen.

2. How do I know when to use the combination formula?

You should use the combination formula when you want to calculate the number of ways that a certain number of items can be chosen from a larger set of items, without regard to order.

3. Can the order of the items affect the number of combinations?

No, the order of the items does not affect the number of combinations. The formula for calculating combinations takes into account all possible ways that the items can be arranged.

4. How do I find the value of n and r in the combination formula?

N and r can be determined by the context of the problem or question. N represents the total number of items and r represents the number of items being chosen from that total.

5. Are there any limitations to using the combination formula?

Yes, the combination formula can only be used for situations where order does not matter and where items cannot be repeated. If items can be repeated or the order does matter, a different formula, such as the permutation formula, should be used.