How to calculate the stability and strength of a simple chassis?

In summary, the person speaking is an electrical engineer attempting to design a four-seater car as a hobby. They are unsure about the chassis design and have conducted FEM simulations with the help of a friend. The simulations have shown a total deformation of 0.6mm in the red section and the person is asking for advice on whether this is a robust and long-lasting result. They also inquire about the need for a dynamic load simulation and welcome suggestions for improvement. However, the expert summarizer notes that the person's approach to chassis design may not be correct and they should consider other factors such as drag and friction forces. They also question the purpose and type of vehicle being designed and advise against relying solely on FEM simulations.
zaraf
TL;DR Summary
Calculating Chassis strength
Dear community,

I am an electrical engineer trying to make my hobby four seater car. Being not a mechanical guy I am really uncertain of the chassis design that I have concepted though with the help of a friend we got some basic simulation running. My concept is to use a standard rectangular (hollow) steel profile 40x60x2mm and make a rectangular ladder frame (1.2m x 3.5m). So we took a static load case (vehicle fully loaded 1000Kg) and did the FEM simulations. The results are attached. My question is:
1. The total deformation is shown to be 0.6mm in the red section. What impact could it have on the chassis and does the simulation signals a robust and long lasting result?
2. Is this static load methodology good enough to design a chassis or do i really need a dynamic load simulation. If yes what should I consider?
3. I am open to your suggestions on how to make it more better in terms of design and profile used.

Thanks.

Attachments

• chassis.png
    chassis.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 218
Engineering news on Phys.org
you know that 1000kg is a heavy load and FEM don't show your result that you are expecting because chassis depends on the shape of the vehicle and you should not depend on only FEM design when you design chassis. you question is little bit obscured because your idea to design chassis is not the right way. At first you need to clarify that which kind of vehicle you would like to design? It is not your task at all. Chassis design is not only depends on dynamic and static load, there is also many things need to consider. For example drag force, friction force. is it a research project or you are interested to learn chassis design. your methodology to design a chassis is wrong. which kind of machine and what is the purpose of the machine? Don't choose FEM at initial stage.

Likes berkeman

1. How do you determine the center of gravity of a chassis?

To determine the center of gravity of a chassis, you will need to measure the weight and location of each component of the chassis. Then, using a formula such as the parallel axis theorem, you can calculate the location of the center of gravity.

2. What factors affect the stability of a chassis?

The stability of a chassis can be affected by several factors, including the weight distribution of the components, the height of the center of gravity, the width of the chassis, and the type of suspension system used.

3. How do you calculate the strength of a chassis?

The strength of a chassis can be calculated by determining the maximum load or force that the chassis can withstand without deforming or breaking. This can be done through various methods such as finite element analysis or physical testing.

4. What is the difference between stiffness and strength in a chassis?

Stiffness refers to the ability of a chassis to resist deformation under a load, while strength refers to the maximum load or force that a chassis can withstand before failure. In other words, stiffness measures the rigidity of the chassis, while strength measures its durability.

5. How can material selection impact the stability and strength of a chassis?

The choice of materials used in a chassis can greatly impact its stability and strength. Different materials have varying properties such as weight, stiffness, and strength, which can affect the overall performance of the chassis. It is important to carefully consider the material selection in order to achieve the desired stability and strength for a chassis.