How to calculate bridge deformation based on "design"?

In summary, while you could calculate stress, strain, and ultimate tensile strength for different designs of bridges made out of the same material using equations, it's more cost-effective and safer to do testing in a lab to get an accurate value.
David Goldman

Homework Statement

I'm not sure if this belongs here, sorry if it does not. I am trying to find the most amount of mass a bridge can hold before deforming/collapsing. I was trying to factor stress/ultimate tensile strength into it in a way. Is there a way I can calculate ultimate tensile strength and/or stress if I'm creating different designs of bridges using balsa wood? I'm trying to find if a certain design of bridge (truss, suspension, arch, etc.) affects how much load it can carry or how much load a bridge design can carry before collapsing.

Homework Equations

Unknown

The Attempt at a Solution

Nothing so far

Physics news on Phys.org
Purpose: I want to find the amount of stress or ultimate tensile strength of different designs of bridges.

David Goldman said:

Homework Statement

I'm not sure if this belongs here, sorry if it does not. I am trying to find the most amount of mass a bridge can hold before deforming/collapsing. I was trying to factor stress/ultimate tensile strength into it in a way. Is there a way I can calculate ultimate tensile strength and/or stress if I'm creating different designs of bridges using balsa wood? I'm trying to find if a certain design of bridge (truss, suspension, arch, etc.) affects how much load it can carry or how much load a bridge design can carry before collapsing.

Homework Equations

Unknown

The Attempt at a Solution

Nothing so far
Welcome to the PF.

What reading have you been doing about this so far? What grade/year are you in school? Since this is for schoolwork, does your textbook go over this at all? :smile:

I have been reading about tensile strength , however, I noticed it was only for materials, not based on different designs. I am currently in my senior year of high school. This is not really explained in my physics textbook as it pertains more to engineering. I read about stress, strain, and tensile strength, and I noticed that they only apply to materials? I wanted to see if I could calculate the stress, strain, or tensile strength based on different designs of bridges of the same material (balsa wood) instead of measuring how many weights each design could hold until it collapses. Sadly, I could not find much on this or the equations needed to calculate the, if available. Thanks for the response!

David Goldman said:
I have been reading about tensile strength , however, I noticed it was only for materials, not based on different designs. I am currently in my senior year of high school. This is not really explained in my physics textbook as it pertains more to engineering. I read about stress, strain, and tensile strength, and I noticed that they only apply to materials? I wanted to see if I could calculate the stress, strain, or tensile strength based on different designs of bridges of the same material (balsa wood) instead of measuring how many weights each design could hold until it collapses. Sadly, I could not find much on this or the equations needed to calculate the, if available. Thanks for the response!

It's much cheaper (not to mention safer) to test materials in a lab to find out what their ultimate tensile strength is, or their stress v. strain charactertistics.

Doing such testing using complex structures, like bridges for instance, introduces too many unknowns into the process of measuring things like tensile strength. The pieces tested in a strength lab use a simple geometry and have standardized dimensions for things like length, diameter, etc., which makes calculations very simple and reduces the possibility of making errors. By testing only a single piece, it is clear when failure occurs, which may not be so apparent in a complex structure like a bridge.

This article discusses tensile tests and how many engineering materials are tested:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensile_testing

The information derived from such tests is then used to design a particular structure, say a bridge or a skyscraper.

A further word. The strength characteristics of materials like balsa wood are dependent on several factors which may not be present in metals. The direction of the grain relative to the application of the load, the moisture content, and the species of wood all factor into what strength characteristics you will obtain. Metals don't have these limitations.

Likes berkeman

1. How do you calculate bridge deformation based on design?

To calculate bridge deformation, you first need to know the design specifications of the bridge, such as the material used, dimensions, and load capacity. Then, you can use mathematical equations and structural analysis techniques to estimate the expected deformation under different loads.

2. What factors affect bridge deformation?

Some of the main factors that affect bridge deformation include the material properties of the bridge, the type and intensity of the load, and the design of the bridge itself. External factors such as temperature and environmental conditions can also play a role in deformation.

3. How accurate are the calculations for bridge deformation based on design?

The accuracy of the calculations for bridge deformation depends on the accuracy of the input data and the complexity of the bridge design. With precise measurements and detailed design specifications, the calculations can be highly accurate. However, there may be some margin of error due to unforeseen factors or limitations in the analysis methods.

4. Can bridge deformation be prevented or controlled?

Bridge deformation is a natural and expected phenomenon, but it can be controlled or minimized through proper design and maintenance. By using strong and durable materials, incorporating supportive structures, and regularly inspecting and repairing any potential weak points, the effects of deformation can be reduced.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to bridge deformation?

Bridge deformation can pose safety concerns if it exceeds the design limits or if it is not properly monitored and addressed. This is why it is important for engineers and bridge operators to regularly assess the condition of bridges and take necessary measures to ensure their structural integrity and safety.