Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate theoretical values for a ride?

1. Mar 2, 2015 #1
    Hi,
    I've done a prac at school where we had to take an accelerometer onto a ride and obtain a graph in at duration. However, the data I've obtained (Acceleration in X, Y Z and resultant) is experimental data. I need to calculate theoretical data for certain segments of the ride. Assuming that I know the height of each segment, is it possible to calculate theoretical data for this? I do not know the initial velocity or final velocity of any of the points. I do know the mass of the rollercoaster and its height from the ground.

Thanks in anticipation!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You'll need some initial conditions - a reasonable assumption might be a velocity of nearly zero at the top. Alternatively, take the initial value that gives the best theory/experiment agreement.
    For a real roller coaster, you also have to consider friction.
    And, assuming your roller coaster is not one-dimensional, you'll need all three coordinates for each point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook