How to Calculate Tire Contact Area from Weight and Pressure

  • Thread starter Thread starter dumguy
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
dumguy
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] my anwers does not look right

Homework Statement


A car has a weight of 15000N. If the pressure of each of the tires is observed to be 225KPa, calculate the area of each tire that is in contact with the pavement.


Homework Equations


A=F/P


The Attempt at a Solution



A=0.01666sq.meters
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. Could you show your working an intermediate steps, please. You are more likely to be helped if you do this, since people will be able to follow your working rather than do it themselves.
 
Just learning the language for inputting my equations, exponents and all that.
 
Received via PM:
dumguy said:
I assume that each tire supports 1/4 of the weight of the car and that works out to be 3750N.I convert the tire pressure from 225KPa into N/sq.meters and do the equation A=F/P. This gives me 0.01666sq.meters. All of which I am doing in SI and rounding with significant digits. I just don't know how to type that.

That looks fine to me.