How does tire pressure affect contact area?

In summary, the right rear tire must have a new contact area of 400 square cm in order to support the car when the tire pressure is reduced from 32 pounds psi to 16 pounds psi. This is based on the equation P=F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is contact area. When the pressure is halved, the contact area must double in order to maintain the same force supporting the car.
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

Your right rear tire normally has to support a weight of 3000N. The contact area of your tire with the road is 200 square cm. If the pressure in your tire is suddenly reduced from 32 pounds psi to 16 pounds psi, what must be the new contact area to support the car?

Homework Equations

Classical mechanics, pressures in Pascal etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

Not quite sure where to go with this... My intuition tells me that the area should be larger but I'm not sure what equation to start plugging stuff into to prove it.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the relationship between force and pressure?

Hmm let's see here.

P=F/A

So the initial pressure is 1500 Pa, correct? How does that help me?

Read your problem carefully.

In the initial instance, you are given a force, a pressure and an area of contact. Are all of these quantities consistent, when using consistent units?

In the second instance, the pressure in the tire is reduced. Does the force on the tire change? What happens to the contact area when the tire pressure is reduced?

Back when I used to work heavy equipment, civil engineers would often ask me how much pressure a piece of equipment applied to the ground, so that they could design a concrete slab to park it on. I've seen all sorts of schemes to measure contact area to divide the axle weight by. But that always works out to a number equal to tire pressure. So I would tell them to figure 180 psi because none of the regular equipment is higher than that. Some aircraft is much higher, and that results in some very thick heavily reinforced concrete.

Hmm the 3000N remains the same, that's for sure. If the pressure is decreased the contact area must increase... The pressure decreases by 1/2 so the contact area increases by a factor of 2?

Related to How does tire pressure affect contact area?

What is the recommended tire pressure for my vehicle?

The recommended tire pressure for your vehicle can usually be found on a sticker located on the inside of the driver's side door or in the owner's manual. It is important to follow this recommended tire pressure for optimal performance and safety.

Why is it important to maintain proper tire pressure?

Maintaining proper tire pressure is important for several reasons. It ensures that your tires wear evenly, which can extend their lifespan. It also improves fuel efficiency, as underinflated tires require more energy to move. Proper tire pressure also helps with handling and braking, making your vehicle safer to drive.

How often should I check my tire pressure?

It is recommended to check your tire pressure at least once a month. However, it is also a good idea to check it before long trips or when there are extreme temperature changes. It is also important to check your tire pressure if you notice any changes in handling or unusual wear on your tires.

What are the consequences of having overinflated or underinflated tires?

Having overinflated tires can lead to a harsher ride and increased wear in the center of the tread. It can also make your tires more susceptible to damage from potholes and road hazards. On the other hand, underinflated tires can lead to poor handling, decreased fuel efficiency, and increased wear on the outer edges of the tread. In extreme cases, underinflated tires can also lead to blowouts.

Can tire pressure affect my vehicle's performance?

Yes, tire pressure can have a significant impact on your vehicle's performance. Underinflated tires can cause sluggish acceleration and decreased braking ability. They can also affect handling and make your vehicle more difficult to control. Overinflated tires can also impact handling and make your vehicle feel more sensitive to bumps and road imperfections. Overall, maintaining proper tire pressure is crucial for optimal vehicle performance.