How to calculate torque required to move a heavy object on wheels

In summary, to move an Airbus A380 along the runway to taxi it back to the gate after touch down, an expert would need to calculate the torque required, which would include factors like rolling resistance and axle friction. They would also need to take into account the drivetrain losses of the tow vehicle and safety factors.
alex282
I would like to work out the torque required to move an Airbus A380 along the runway to taxi it back to the gate after touch down. I want to look at using electric motors on the wheels to do this

Say the weight of the plane is 400,000kg, the speed required is to be around 10 m/s and the diameter of a single wheel is around 1.4 m

How would I calculate the torque or power required to move it? Sorry I just can't remember much about mechanics as an EE

Engineering news on Phys.org
alex282 said:
I would like to work out the torque required to move an Airbus A380
Planning to steal one? :D
I don't know all of what's involved, and definitely not any math regarding it, but some things that you have to look at are rolling resistance of the wheels, axle friction, force deflection do to suspension dipping (probably not applicable, but I wouldn't rule it out), even wind force for something that big... If I think of anything else, I'll get back to you.

edit: Oh, yeah... if you're asking about the required torque of the engine, you also have to factor in all of the aforementioned, along with drivetrain losses, for the tow vehicle itself.

Last edited:
I'm doing a regenerative braking on aircraft project and I basically wanted to know what type of motor will be better for using on the planes landing gear to taxi it along the runway.

I know DC motors have better speed control but since the plane is so heavy I'm not sure if even a few DC motors would be able to move the plane. There is a company that has got this electric motor taxiing to work but they won't tell me what type of motor they're using

I see. I'd be seriously tempted to look into hydraulic motors, which become pumps when driven from the shaft. There'd need to be some serious gearing on hand if you want it to be able to apply braking pressure at touchdown speeds, but simple taxiing should be an ideal situation for it. Don't go on my word, though; I'm not educated in the subject.

So the force required to move the aeroplane would be equal to:

Total force = (2 x Static frictional coefficient x Normal force) + (mass of the aeroplane x acceleration)
The above is under the assumption that front wheels are free to roll and thus no friction developed. The normal force will be equal to the mass of the plane divided by 4 so N = (mass x gravity)/4

The acceleration can be found by using SUVAT equations with the time/distance to the end point being arbitrary values, so you can use v^2 = u^2 +2as with u^2 = 0

Once you find that out, you can find the torque which is Torque = Force * Radius

Then you find the Power by first finding the RPM.
RPM (in rad/s) = Velocity / Radius

You find the power which is P = Torque x RPM (in rad/s) ----> Note that the power is constant.

Once you have the value of the torque that is required, you divide it by the gear train of the machine. So say gear 1 is 2.3 and gear 2 is 0.2. Then you just divide the torque value by (2.3*0.2) to get the torque value at the motor.

However, losses such as the transmission efficiency and so on have to be catered for as well as a safety factor. So it's better to divide your initial value of torque by the safety factors and losses to get the actual required value of torque.

This is how I would do, Hope I helped :)

Last edited:

1. What is torque and why is it important in moving a heavy object on wheels?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In order to move a heavy object on wheels, a certain amount of torque is required to overcome the object's inertia and friction.

2. How do I calculate the torque required to move a heavy object on wheels?

The formula for torque is: torque = force x distance. To calculate the torque required to move a heavy object on wheels, you will need to know the weight of the object and the distance between the center of the wheels and the point where the force is being applied. This will give you the force required to overcome the object's inertia and friction.

3. What factors can affect the amount of torque required to move a heavy object on wheels?

The weight of the object, the type and condition of the wheels, the surface the wheels are moving on, and the angle of the force being applied can all affect the amount of torque required to move a heavy object on wheels. Additionally, the amount of friction between the wheels and the surface can also impact the required torque.

4. How can I increase the torque available to move a heavy object on wheels?

One way to increase the available torque is to use a lever or pulley system, which can help to amplify the force being applied. Another option is to increase the force being applied, either by using a stronger motor or by applying the force at a larger distance from the wheels.

5. Is there a limit to the amount of torque that can be applied to move a heavy object on wheels?

Yes, there is a limit to the amount of torque that can be applied to move a heavy object on wheels. This limit is determined by the weight of the object, the friction between the wheels and the surface, and the strength of the motor or force being applied. If the torque required exceeds the limit, the wheels may slip or the motor may stall.