How to Calculate Voltage Gain for Amplifiers B and D with Limited Input Voltage

  • Thread starter Thread starter breeno
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
breeno
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



"The graph shows the characteristics of four different voltage amplifiers (A-D). The input voltage to these amplifiers is limited to between + & - 600mV.

physicsstuff.png


If you cannot see it properly it also says "If the input voltage is as shown (see bottom graph), sketch the output voltage for amplifiers B and D."

Homework Equations



Voltage gain = change in output voltage divided by change in input voltage.



The Attempt at a Solution



To use B as an example. I've tried finding the voltage gain (rise over run or the formula above) to get 8.33. I then use that as the voltage gain and rearrange the above formula but alas it didn't work. If it helps, the book shows (for B) a peak voltage of 1.8v and a trough of 1.8v.

Any help would be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
breeno said:
To use B as an example. I've tried finding the voltage gain (rise over run or the formula above) to get 8.33. I then use that as the voltage gain and rearrange the above formula but alas it didn't work. If it helps, the book shows (for B) a peak voltage of 1.8v and a trough of 1.8v.

For B, your rise over the run approach is the way to go. :approve: But you might want to redo the math. :frown: The way I see the figure (which isn't too easy, it's kind of squashed), the output voltages seems to around 5.0 V for an input voltage of around 0.55 V. That doesn't give a gain of 8.33.
 
collinsmark said:
For B, your rise over the run approach is the way to go. :approve: But you might want to redo the math. :frown: The way I see the figure (which isn't too easy, it's kind of squashed), the output voltages seems to around 5.0 V for an input voltage of around 0.55 V. That doesn't give a gain of 8.33.

It's 5v and 0.6v. :p

5/0.6 = 8.33.
 
breeno said:
It's 5v and 0.6v. :p

5/0.6 = 8.33.

Yeah, it's kind of hard for me to see because the figure is squished up. On the other hand, if you use 5/0.55 = 9.09, you'll get the answer in the book. I'm not sure if the book made a mistake in the figure, or the answer, or if it's just because I just can't interpret the figure very well myself.
 
collinsmark said:
Yeah, it's kind of hard for me to see because the figure is squished up. On the other hand, if you use 5/0.55 = 9.09, you'll get the answer in the book. I'm not sure if the book made a mistake in the figure, or the answer, or if it's just because I just can't interpret the figure very well myself.

Thanks for your help.

I went through with a tutor today and it turns out my system was right in the way of getting it and on an exam I will get a 10% range for graph style questions. I re-drew the graph on graph paper and ended up getting the correct answer.

Thanks for helping!