How to calculate work done using a graph

In summary, to calculate the work done in four process of engine cycles using a graph, you need to find the area enclosed by the PV diagram. This can be done by counting the full and half squares or by using software such as Photoshop or a planimeter. The units for the work done should be equivalent to a force times a length.
Apple4ever
Can someone please tell me how do i calculate work done in 4 process of engine cycles using a graph?

i drew the p-v graph of an gasoline engine cycle now i don't know how to calcualte work done. is it by calculating the area inside or how?

no need of formulas...just using the graph..

WORK DONE USING A GRAPH !

Physics news on Phys.org
now graphically means do i need to just count the Squares in the closed area or is there any formula to use to find it?

How are you given the graph? Just a picture or are you given a formula? If all you have is a picture, the "counting squares is all you can do. If you are given a formula you can integrate over the area or perhaps integrate around the boundary and use Green's Theorem.

Thanks hallsofIvy

Just a picture. now becaususe it's a p-v diagram. i got 31 full squares. i didnt count the half squares which are halfed because of the curve. do i need to count them all as well?

and if it's 31 then what is the unit do i have to use for the answer?

You should count them all. You could try scanning the image into Photoshop or similar, calibrating the scale of the squares to pixels and then measuring the area. Or you could use a planimeter - that's typically how you would measure it from an indicator diagram from an engine.

As for units, you know that you're looking for the area of a pressure-volume plot. Thus the units of your area should be the same as the units of pressure multiplied by the units of volume. In an MLT system (mass, length, time) your units should be equivalent to:

[tex]ML^{2}T^{-2}[/tex]

or in other words, equivalent to a force times a length, which gives you work.

What is work?

Work is defined as the product of force and displacement. In other words, it is the energy transferred when a force is applied over a distance.

How is work calculated using a graph?

Work can be calculated using a graph by finding the area under the curve. This is because the area under a force-displacement graph represents the work done.

What units are used to measure work?

The SI unit for work is joules (J) which is equivalent to 1 Newton-meter (N*m). However, other units such as foot-pounds (ft-lb) and ergs (erg) are also used to measure work.

Can work be negative?

Yes, work can be negative. This occurs when the force and displacement are in opposite directions, resulting in the energy being transferred in the opposite direction.

Are there any other methods to calculate work besides using a graph?

Yes, work can also be calculated using the formula W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is displacement. This method is often used when the force is constant over a given distance.