How to choose between two labs I like for my dissertation?

In summary: Are you happy with the financial situation?In summary, the first year PhD student is considering whether or not to join two out of the three laboratory rotations that they have completed. They like both of the PIs, but are not sure if they would be happy in each lab. They are considering other factors, such as the mentorship style of the PI, availability of the PI, level of collaboration between grad students, and other factors.
Kinase
I'm a first year PhD student and the program I'm in requires three laboratory rotations. I have finished those and all three of the PI's explicitly said they want me to join their lab. I would consider joining 2/3 of them. I really like both PI's and the work they do (and the work they would let me do) and could see myself being happy in each lab.

I'm not sure what other factors I should be looking into to help me decide. They both have funding to keep me around for the foreseeable future, They're both younger PI's but come from good pedigrees... Any input?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask other students who already work in these labs what it's like and why they chose to work there. Maybe you'll hear something that will tip the balance one way or another.

Sounds like a tough decision, but that there isn't a wrong answer. I'm assuming you've thought about these things, but here are some factors:

1. Mentorship style of the PI (some people prefer a hands-off approach, others don't)
2. Availability of the PI (are they always travelling?)
3. Level of collaboration between grad students (both within the group, and with other labs)
4. This one sounds silly, but... office space. Some groups have offices that house all of the grad students in the group, whereas others (at least here) have offices that have 2-3 people each in them. In my opinion, this has a pretty big effect on the group dynamic, see #3.

Additional things to consider:
  1. Details of the potential projects
    - What skills are you going to pick up on each and how transferrable are they to the working world?
    - Is there an opportunity to patent or commercialize part of the project?
    - How much do you understand about the project and how clear in your mind is the map from where you are now to the completion of a PhD?
    - What are the contingency plans if the project doesn't go the way you're expecting?
  2. Details about the supervisors
    - How many other students do they supervise and how much time will they have to dedicate specifically to you?
    - Will the majority of day-to-day supervision come from a post-doc? How well do you get along with this person?
    - Formal or informal interactions? Which do you prefer and what does each supervisor prefer?
    - Degree of independence. Some supervisors just let their students work and check in occasionally. Others watch their students like hawks. What circumstances do you think will work best for you?
    - How comfortable would you feel if you had to give each supervisor bad news?
  3. Other factors
    - What do you think of the other people you've met in each lab? How well are you likely to work with them?
    - What's happened to recent graduates out of each lab? Are they going into places that you'd like to go?
    - What's happening with current grad students in each lab? Are they going to conferences? Are they participating in young investigator competitions? Are they successful in them?
    - How free are you to explore your own ideas?
    -

1. How do I know which lab is the best fit for my research interests?

Before making a decision, it is important to thoroughly research both labs and their areas of expertise. Look at their past publications and ongoing projects to see if they align with your research interests. It may also be helpful to talk to current or former lab members to get a better understanding of the lab's research culture.

2. What resources and equipment does each lab have?

It is important to consider the resources and equipment available in each lab before making a decision. This includes access to specialized equipment, funding for research projects, and availability of research assistants or technicians. Make sure the lab you choose has the necessary resources to support your dissertation research.

3. How do I determine which lab has a better mentor for my dissertation?

The mentor-student relationship is crucial for a successful dissertation experience. Consider the communication style and mentoring approach of each lab's principal investigator. You may also want to talk to current or former students in each lab to get a better understanding of their mentorship experiences.

4. What is the lab environment like?

The lab environment can greatly impact your experience and productivity. Consider factors such as the lab's size, organization, and overall atmosphere. It may also be helpful to visit each lab in person and observe the interactions between lab members to get a better sense of the environment.

5. How will my decision impact my future career?

Choosing the right lab for your dissertation can have a significant impact on your future career. Consider the reputation and prestige of each lab, as well as the potential for collaborations and networking opportunities. It may also be helpful to talk to current or former lab members about their career paths after completing their dissertation in the lab.