How to Choose the Right Research Project as an Undergraduate?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
F. Liszt
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

I was just hoping to gather some advice for a research project. I am currently a junior, and I have asked to do some research with one of my professors for next year. The problem is that he does research in several fields, and I don't really have preference to any of them yet.

I am still unsure what field I want to specialize in. I like the looks of doing work with plasmas, like the research at the Princeton PPL, and at LLNL involving plasma confinement and fusion.

Anyway, he does work in High-order Rigorous Computation, Dynamical Systems (like modeling the chaotic orbits of asteriods), and also in Non-linear beam dynamics. I am personally leaning toward the beam dynamics, but I thought I would ask you all for some advice.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Liszt,

I'd suggest you first decide what your primary goal is of this experience. Clearly its going to be some balance of learning/experience and building up your CV/applications, but which is there one or the other that is at present more important?

If that doesn't help, you might consider which project the professor seems most interested in/passionate about--that will make a big impact on the experience.

FINALLY, note that dynamical systems will ALWAYS be useful experience/information; rigorous computational experience is often useful, but getting more specific; and finally beam dynamics (whatever that is), might not be so broadly applicable--and for the same reason might be the best key to getting into specific programs of your liking.

Best of luck