How to compute Gaussian Quadrature weights?

In summary, the person is struggling to understand a concept in their numerical analysis book and is directed to an out of print book from the 80's. They then search for information online and find some information on Gaussian quadrature, but still do not fully understand it. They mention the use of orthogonal polynomials and how they can be found using a recurrence relation. The Wikipedia article also explains how to calculate the A's and B's for these polynomials. Finally, they mention that some orthogonal polynomials have second-order differential equations and there are formulas for Gaussian-quadrature weights for them.
ektrules
My numerical analysis book doesn't explain it. It just tells you to use precomputed tables, and directs you to an out of print book from the 80's that I can't find anywhere.

After searching, I found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_quadrature#Computation_of_Gaussian_quadrature_rules" in the "Gaussian Quadrature" Wikipedia article. But I don't really understand it, and don't have access to the referenced book either. Specifically, in the "Jacobi" matrix, what are An and Bn supposed to be?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's what orthogonal polynomials are:

A set of polynomials pi(x) with degree i having values 0, 1, 2, 3, ... that satisfy

<pi(x)*pj(x)> = integral over x of w(x)*pi(x)*pj(x) = 0 for j != i

and some weight function w(x).

They can be found from a recurrence relation; this one assumes monic polynomials:

pi+1(x) + (Bi - x)*pi(x) + Ai*pi-1 = 0

with p0(x) = 1 and p1(x) = x - B0

That's where the A's and B's come from. One can calculate them using orthogonality:

Bi = <x*(pi(x))2>/<(pi(x))2>
Ai = <x*pi(x)*pi-1(x)>/<(pi-1(x))2>

To derive them, multiply the recurrence relation by pi(x) and pi-1(x) and integrate.

Once you get to there, the Wikipedia article explains what next.

Some orthogonal polynomials satisfy second-order differential equations. There are several families of them, and some mathematicians have found formulas for Gaussian-quadrature weights for them.

Jacobi polynomials - (1-x)a*(1+x)b over (-1,1)

Laguerre polynomials - exp(-x) over (0,infinity)

Associated Laguerre polynomials - xa*exp(x) over (0,infinity)

Hermite polynomials - exp(-x2) over (-infinity,infinity)

1. What is Gaussian Quadrature?

Gaussian Quadrature is a numerical integration method used to approximate the definite integral of a function. It works by choosing a set of points (known as nodes) and weights, and then using these values to approximate the integral.

2. How are the Gaussian Quadrature weights computed?

The weights for Gaussian Quadrature are computed using a specific mathematical formula known as the Gaussian quadrature rule. This rule takes into account the chosen nodes and uses them to calculate the weights that will give the most accurate approximation of the integral.

3. What is the purpose of computing Gaussian Quadrature weights?

The purpose of computing Gaussian Quadrature weights is to accurately approximate the definite integral of a function. This is useful in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, where the calculation of integrals is necessary for solving problems and analyzing data.

4. What factors affect the accuracy of Gaussian Quadrature weights?

The accuracy of Gaussian Quadrature weights can be affected by several factors, including the choice of nodes, the order of the quadrature rule, and the smoothness of the function being integrated. Generally, as the number of nodes and the order of the rule increase, the accuracy also increases.

5. How do you choose the nodes for Gaussian Quadrature?

There are various methods for choosing the nodes for Gaussian Quadrature, such as the Gauss-Legendre, Gauss-Hermite, and Gauss-Laguerre methods. The choice of nodes depends on the type of function being integrated and the desired level of accuracy. In most cases, the nodes are chosen such that they are evenly spaced within the interval of integration.