How to Compute the Inertia Tensor of a Cross-Hanger?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
ppedro
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
I've done many exercises about inertia tensors of 3D bodies and sticks but now I have this exercise and I got stuck without any idea of how to do the integration to compute the inertia tensor. The statement is this:

"Compute the inertia tensor of a cross-hanger consisting of 3 thin and linear wires, with mass M and length L, glued perpendicularly by their central parts which is placed at (x,y,z)=(0,0,0)."​

As you know, the inertia tensor (or matrix) for an homogeneous body is constructed from

[itex]I_{ij}=\int\rho(\delta_{ij}\sum_{k}x_{k}^{2}-x_{i}x_{j})dV[/itex]

So that, for example,

[itex]I_{11}=\int\rho(x_{2}^{2}+x_{3}^{2})dV[/itex]

If it was a cube for example we could integrate the expression effortlessly with the integral limits in the 3 variables going from [itex]-L/2[/itex] to [itex]L/2[/itex]. But with this shape I'm not sure how to do it. Can you help me with the integration? Should I fix one variable at 0 and integrate the others?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The inertia tensor of a body that consists of multiple parts is the sum of the inertia tensors of the parts.