1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the moment of inertia matrix a tensor?

1. Oct 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Is the moment of inertia matrix a tensor? Hint: the dyadic product of two vectors transforms according to the rule for second order tensors.
    • [itex]I[/itex] is the inertia matrix
    • [itex]L[/itex] is the angular momentum
    • [itex]\omega[/itex] is the angular velocity

2. Relevant equations
    The transformation rule for a second order tensor is: [itex]I'_{ij} = C_{ip}C_{jq}I_{pq}[/itex]. A dyadic product of two vectors [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex] is a matrix of the form: [itex]A_{ij} = u_iv_j[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    In a previous homework, we proved that a dyadic product transforms according to the rule for second order tensors. I would like to show that the moment of inertia matrix is a dyadic product. However, we never defined it that way in class yet, so I am unsure of how exactly this would work. We have: [itex]L_i = I_{ij}w_j[/itex]. Now, is it ok to then write that [itex]L_i\frac{1}{w_j} = I_{ij}[/itex], so that [itex]I_{ij}[/itex] is a dyadic product of [itex]L[/itex] and the vector whose components are [itex]\frac{1}{w_i}[/itex]? That feels wrong to me, because dividing out by something with a dummy variable like that doesn't seem like it should be valid, but I'm not actually sure!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2015 #2

Geofleur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You definitely can't divide by the ## \omega_j ## that way, because it is being summed over. For example, ## L_1 = I_{11}\omega_1 + I_{12}\omega_2 + I_{13}\omega_3 ##. This last equation could be divided by ## \omega_1 ##, for example, but that would not eliminate the ## \omega ##'s from the right hand side.

I am not sure whether the moment of inertia tensor can be represented simply as a dyadic product. I would think it would be easier to use something like ## I_{ij} = \sum_k m_k (r_k^2 \delta_{ij} - x_{k,i}x_{k,j}) ## and then show that each term is a tensor under the relevant transformations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted