• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

How to compute the surface an N-sphere using delta functions

Problem Statement
I am trying to understand how to compute the surface an N-sphere , for large N, to leading order (and exactly)

Given a vector J with norm N, with N large, how does one compute the volume integral ? That is, what representation of the delta function. And what is the exact result ?
Relevant Equations
various delta function representations
Problem Statement: I am trying to understand how to compute the surface an N-sphere , for large N, to leading order (and exactly)

Given a vector J with norm N, with N large, how does one compute the volume integral ? That is, what representation of the delta function. And what is the exact result ?
Relevant Equations: various delta function representations

∫dJδ(J2-N)≈exp(N/2(1+ln2π))

The area of an N-sphere goes like 2πN/2 so I know this is close but Im haven't remembered the trick yet how to get the exact result

haruspex

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Problem Statement: I am trying to understand how to compute the surface an N-sphere , for large N, to leading order (and exactly)

Relevant Equations: various delta function representations

Is this what you are after?

No I was thinking more to use a relation like

$$\delta[g(x)]=\dfrac{\delta(x-x_{0})}{|g'(x)|_{x=x_{0}}}$$

or maybe the simpler relation

$$\delta[(x^{2}-a^{2})]=\dfrac{1}{2|a|}[\delta(x+a)+\delta(x-a)]$$

so that we can reduce

$$\delta[(\mathbf{J}^{2}-N)]=\dfrac{1}{2N^{1/2}}[\delta(\mathbf{J}+\sqrt{N})+\delta(\mathbf{J}-\sqrt{N})]$$

Which should give 2 identical values when integrated over ##\int\;d\mathbf{J}##. Then we need to represent ##\int\;d\mathbf{J}## using

$$d\mathbf{J}=\Pi_{i=1}^{N}dj_{i}$$

and then compute the integral as a product of N identical integrals over ##dj_{i}##

OR

I suppose one could try to do the ##\int\;d\mathbf{J}## integral in N-dim spherical coordinates, and then the relation (above on wikipedia) might be useful

EVENTUALLY

I want to add some constraints on the ##\mathbf{J}## vectors, such as specifying an arbitrary vector ##\mathbf{K}##, and asking what is

$$\int\;d\mathbf{J}\delta(\mathbf{J}^{2}-N)\delta(\dfrac{1}{N}\mathbf{J}^{T}\mathbf{K}-E)=?$$

So I would like to work it all out, in gross detail, using the delta function forms

Last edited: