How to connect 11v Battery to 5.3 V power Supply

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
yaswanth_040
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Hi friends,
I don't have any electrical background. In my experiments I have 11 V Battery which has to power up PC104 which needs 5.3 V. Can please help me out how to step down the voltage.

Thank You,
Yawanth
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
yaswanth_040 said:
Hi friends,
I don't have any electrical background. In my experiments I have 11 V Battery which has to power up PC104 which needs 5.3 V. Can please help me out how to step down the voltage.

Thank You,
Yawanth

Sounds like what you want is a DC-to-DC converter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC-to-DC_converter"

You could either use a linear regulator (inefficient) or a buck converter.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Go to DigiKey and look up LM7805. It's a linear regulator that will drop the 12V battery to 5V. Put a 0.1uF ceramic cap between the 5V and ground and it should power your device just fine. I'm assuming the device draws less than 500mA.