Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to convert TV Recordings into Slow Motion MPEGS

1. Mar 9, 2007 #1
    I have this baseball game on my DVR, and there's a segment of it that I wish to convert to my computer into a slow motion MPEG and I was wondering what the process is for going about this?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2007 #2
    Basically you save the .dv file on the computer, then use a video processing application to select the sections you want in slow motion and save those as mpeg.
    Any good video processing app will do this. A good balance between ease of use and set of features would be for instance Pinnacle Studio.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  4. Mar 9, 2007 #3
    But how do I get the .dv file onto the computer?

5. Mar 9, 2007 #4
    If it is a DVR it presumably has a firewire interface that you can use. You need a firewire interface on your PC or laptop.

You obviously can use another type of connection (S-Video or Composite) with a video capture card but you will suffer a big loss of information compared to digital video.

6. Mar 10, 2007 #5

How do I get a firewire interface?

7. Mar 10, 2007 #6
    Most laptops and various PCs already have them buit-in. But you can always buy a firewire card, they are inexpensive.

But make sure your DVR has a firewire interface first! What's you make and model?

This is what a firewire interface and cable looks like.

8. Mar 10, 2007 #7

I can't look at it now, but it's a Time Warner Cable product. After looking at those pictures I'm pretty confident it's already built-in, but I'll have to check tomorrow.

The only issue will be getting it connected to my computer since my computer is a decent enough distance away from the TV.

9. Mar 10, 2007 #8
    You either have one, or you don't.

The jack will look like one of the following images:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?