How to Cool 70°C Water to 35-38°C?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Vig16
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cold Water
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Vig16
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I have a question about how to cool the water that's already in my cup. I already have 3-4 ounces of 70°C water in my cup and want to bring that overall temperature down to 35-38°C. The end solution needs to have 8 ounces of water. I already tried doing this with room temperature water (20-25°C) and the end solution came out to be 41°C and 46°C in my two trials.

Is there a certain formula I can use to calculate the temperature needed to cool the 70°C water down to my desired range?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Is it as simple as a ratio , assuming there is no heat loss to the surroundings through the process and that the water is well mixed

if you have

4 ounces at 70
4 ounces at 20
you'll have 8 ounces at 45

by that logic you'd need water at about 3-4 degrees
 
Maxong091 said:
Hi,

Is it as simple as a ratio , assuming there is no heat loss to the surroundings through the process and that the water is well mixed

if you have

4 ounces at 70
4 ounces at 20
you'll have 8 ounces at 45

by that logic you'd need water at about 3-4 degrees

Great! Thank you! I knew it had to be a simple calculation, but didn't even think it'd be that simple!